new FamilySearch Suggestions

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

How would someone be able to steal your identity through knowing your ancestors information? Any data about the living will be restricted to the person's personal tree and now shared just like it is now but you will be able to link in multimedia to each person from what I understand.
- David
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

thedqs wrote:How would someone be able to steal your identity through knowing your ancestors information?
First they would need a time machine of some sort... :D
jaocon

Post by jaocon »

thedqs wrote:How would someone be able to steal your identity through knowing your ancestors information? Any data about the living will be restricted to the person's personal tree and now shared just like it is now but you will be able to link in multimedia to each person from what I understand.

I was not meaning my/living person's identity necessarily...nowadays you hear news stories about people taking identities from obituaries or deceased people. I guess there isn't really any way to protect against someone intent on using information fraudulently - there are plenty of Internet tools one can use to find living person information.

Having not seen the NFS interface, except for the screenshot available on this forum I am unsure of what you mean "shared just like it is now"... Does this mean information on living people will not be included like the current familysearch? From what you say "data about the living will be restricted to the person's personal tree" I assume this means there has been consideration of allowing information to be "marked private" but still submitted. As far as 'sharing' I guess this would mean that the individual can share their personal tree from a desktop application as they could now... but that it won't be shared on NFS.
JAO - wannabe developer
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

The new FamilySearch is very protective of information about living persons. It shows each user nearly full information about himself/herself. It shows each user whatever that user has directly submitted into the NFS. Anything else about living persons appears to be limited to what is needed to tie the user to his/her ancestors.

(All the rest of this paragraph is to the best of my recollection from the recent beta, but I might have mis-remembered some detail.) It did show names and pedigree positions for my wife, parents and one living grandparent. It did not show marriage dates, birth dates, etc. about my parents. It did not show LDS ordinance information about anyone living, not even myself. It did not show my living children, my living siblings, or my parents' living siblings. To get any of my wife's ancestors to show up in the pedigree view, I had to add her (living) parents and her one grandmother who was living when information was submitted about her several years ago, and then it only showed me what I had entered directly into NFS, not anything from any other source.
jaocon

Post by jaocon »

I guess I could have found answer to my previous questions in the NFS userguide which I finally
located on another thread
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... sguide.pdf
So my understanding after reading is that only members can submit.

Here is a suggestion I have submitted through the FHL suggestion box several times.
I don't know but I suspect most of us have difficulty finding sources on at least one
of our family lines - that hard research task where we can't seem to find trace of any record.
I would like to see some sort of messaging system implemented in NFS which queues these sort
of hard research tasks to the FHL/the FHC in the area of research so that available staff -
perhaps with more knowledge of the records available can help locate these records. I don't
know how quickly the queue would grow but I suspect there would be high demand for such research
assistance. If these requests did not grow quickly the FHL/FHC can also be responsible (if taught)
to go out into the surrounding community and gain access (through proper local channels) to source
records which could be transcribed, photographed or digitized, etc. and made available through a
NFS plugin which I believe should also accept submissions from genealogical organizations,
governmental entities, etc. The major advantage received from implementing this type of feature is
that research progresses on several fronts...and that the user does not have to travel to distant
places to get results.
JAO - wannabe developer
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

I seem to recall reading somewhere, perhaps somewhere in the beta 2 info, that NFS access would probably eventually be made available to nonmembers. One of the issues to be solved before that can be done is what to use for identity management. With Church members, the Church membership record number can be used.

Oh, I'm seeing two copies of the previous post in what appear to be two threads with the same title but different thread ID numbers. Maybe it's time to check my contact lens prescription. :-)

Okay, now I'm only seeing one thread. The previous posting was showing up twice in the list of four recent postings on the home page, but now this posting pushed one of them off the end of the list.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JAOCON wrote:For example, I'd like to upload pictures or vital records of ancestors;
From what I've seen of the beta, you can't do that. If and when they do allow uploads, then there are concerns. But as a practical matter, I don't think you should upload anything you wouldn't want to make public.

Also, I don't think nFS will support working with anything but deceased people. As such, identity theft shouldn't be much of an issue. Just make sure all the credit agencies have been informed of the relative's death.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JAOCON wrote:I was not meaning my/living person's identity necessarily...nowadays you hear news stories about people taking identities from obituaries or deceased people.
For adults, this shouldn't be a problem, as long as the death has been reported to all the credit agencies. I think the problem is with deceased children. A check will find that such a person has been born, and since they are children, their death probably hasn't been reported to financial institutions or the credit agencies. I think that's where the problems come in. Not sure what to suggest for that.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I am pretty sure that the credit agencies chack the SSN Death Index before accepting a credit card application. Now they don't check it for sending out advertisements as one story in the Ensign a while again showed. (The family's son died at 10 or so and when he was going to be 18 all these credit card apps and college apps started showing up)
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:Now they don't check it for sending out advertisements as one story in the Ensign a while again showed. (The family's son died at 10 or so and when he was going to be 18 all these credit card apps and college apps started showing up)
I wonder if anyone reported it to the SSN office? The businesses have to be pulling it from somewhere. The family is too wrapped up in the funeral to take care of the seemingly non-existent "personal finances" aspect of the child. The SSN office is federal and the handling of deaths is more local (city, county or state).

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”