Defragment HDD

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Defragment HDD

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:moderately fragmented hard drive
If you have time, it might not be a bad idea to defrag the hard drive.

While the built-in one will work, I've been using a program called MyDefrag which looks promising.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
The_Earl

Defragment HDD

Post by The_Earl »

RussellHltn wrote:If you have time, it might not be a bad idea to defrag the hard drive.

While the built-in one will work, I've been using a program called MyDefrag which looks promising.
I like 'Defraggler'. It has a portable installer, so you can copy it to your USB drive and run it anywhere with out installing it on the machine.

Defraggler seems to do a better job of defrag than the built-in windows tool, and it doesn't kill the machine performance as bad when you run it.

I haven't played with MyDefrag.

Defraggler is at:
http://www.piriform.com/defraggler/builds

The Earl
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:If you have time, it might not be a bad idea to defrag the hard drive.

When I am installing the new anti-virus/anti-malware and the administrative software I don't have the extra time to do routine maintenance. I try to educate the clerks and other regular users to do this. Due to the amount of time it takes to travel to outlying units, the farthest being 2 hours and 10 minutes travel time one way, travel takes a great deal of my time as an STS.

At home I use Auslogics Disk Defrag instead of the Windows built-in defragger. It takes a lot less time. I'm always open to other programs - so I'll give both Defraggler and MyDefrag a try.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I haven't had time to look up the licensing for the other programs. I do know the MyDefrag is free. As in free for personal, non-profit and even commercial use. It would be good to check the licensing on the other suggestions and see where they can and can't be used.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Auslogics Disk Defrag is free for home use. I am still searching for the licensing for Church or non-profit but expect it is not free since they charge for business use.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Clerk Computers”