Lost Manual Backup

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
lchoyt

Lost Manual Backup

Post by lchoyt »

Hello, I am a Stake Assistant clerk with my duties being membership. With the last update of MLS I lost the ability to do a manual backup. The option is not listed under the file menu anymore. I had the Stake clerk logon and he also doesn't have the option. The financial does get to backup after entering data. We got a new Dell 740 and I need a current backup to do a restore on the new computer. Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lchoyt wrote:Hello, I am a Stake Assistant clerk with my duties being membership. With the last update of MLS I lost the ability to do a manual backup. The option is not listed under the file menu anymore. I had the Stake clerk logon and he also doesn't have the option. The financial does get to backup after entering data. We got a new Dell 740 and I need a current backup to do a restore on the new computer. Anyone else have this problem?
At the ward level, MLS currently requires Edit Membership or Finance or Admin permissions in order to make a manual backup from the File menu. If you only have View Membership or Organization permissions, you will not see that option on the File menu. At the stake level, since there is no Edit Membership permission, the only permissions that give you this option are Finance and Admin.

It sounds like you're saying that with only View Membership permissions at the stake level you used to be able to make a manual backup. I can confirm that View Membership permissions are insufficient for making a backup in the current MLS 3.1.4. It would take more extensive research to determine just when that change was made.

Personally, I don't see why you would need high permissions in order to make a backup. Restoring a backup is clearly a privileged operation, but any MLS user should be able backup the database. If, for example, a Relief Society secretary has just spent 2 hours completely reorganizing the Visiting Teaching districts, it would seem prudent that she should be able to back up the MLS database to guard against losing that work.
lchoyt

Post by lchoyt »

It sounded like a password rights problem to me also. What is throwing me is the Stake Clerks rights would have also had to have been changed. Since his logon also does not have the backup. I have been doing backups on my thumb drive since April when I was called to the position so I would have an off site copy.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lchoyt wrote:What is throwing me is the Stake Clerks rights would have also had to have been changed. Since his logon also does not have the backup.
Does the stake clerk have Admin permissions, or just View Membership permissions? I find it hard to believe that he could have Admin rights and not see the backup option. So my guess is that he has View Membership rights, just like you do, so when the software changed (assuming that is what happened), it would have had the same effect on both of you.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The next thing to do is to have an administrator log onto MLS and check your user rights. It is likely that someone changed your user rights.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lchoyt

Post by lchoyt »

I had the Stake President logon and sure enough everyone but him and his counselors had thier rights changed. It happened with one of the MLS updates 3.1.3 or 3.1.4. Anyway got things changed back and all is well. Thanks for all the comments.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”