Mandatory Password Change

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Techgy wrote:As I indicated previously if you are serving as a missionary, which is a non-paid position, you are not a church employee. There's no need to be "fired" as nothing would change.
I'm not sure where you got your information that full-time missionaries would not have to change their LDS Account passwords. That may be true for regular missionaries, but I'm pretty sure it is incorrect for those missionaries who serve in positions that require access to special Church systems. For example, missionaries who serve in the Family History Department will be tied into specific systems related to their callings, and in this regard are similar to Church employees.

So such missionaries will have to periodically change their passwords. The question at hand is what happens at the end of that missionary service. Will the periodic password change requirement automatically be removed when at the end of the mission, or will some action have to be taken?

If I were in that situation, I wouldn't worry about it ahead of time. Wait for the end of the mission, and see if you are prompted to change your password a couple of months later. My guess is that the restriction will automatically be lifted. But if not, it's easy enough to call and ask for that restriction to be removed then.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Garin

Post by Garin »

That would make sense since I serve in the Family History Department! I guess I will just wait and see then. Thank you very much!
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Alan_Brown wrote:I'm not sure where you got your information that full-time missionaries would not have to change their LDS Account passwords. That may be true for regular missionaries, but I'm pretty sure it is incorrect for those missionaries who serve in positions that require access to special Church systems. For example, missionaries who serve in the Family History Department will be tied into specific systems related to their callings, and in this regard are similar to Church employees.

So such missionaries will have to periodically change their passwords. The question at hand is what happens at the end of that missionary service. Will the periodic password change requirement automatically be removed when at the end of the mission, or will some action have to be taken?

If I were in that situation, I wouldn't worry about it ahead of time. Wait for the end of the mission, and see if you are prompted to change your password a couple of months later. My guess is that the restriction will automatically be lifted. But if not, it's easy enough to call and ask for that restriction to be removed then.
When I called the service desk and inquired my primary concern was for church employees. In the conversation the person I spoke to mentioned that full-time missionaries were included in the list of those that would not be forced to make a password change.

I haven't pursued it beyond this, which is why I felt that a call to the MLS support desk would be in line for someone with a particular situation.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

Return to “Church Account”