New Ward Building Questions

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
deanphillips

New Ward Building Questions

Post by deanphillips »

We have a new building under construction in our Stake that our Ward will be moving into in the next few months. One of our ward members has been called to oversee the organization of moving in. I am sure the church has this process down to a science with the volume and growth that the church is experiencing not just in the states but worldwide.

Does anyone know of a site that outlines how this move in process works? Another part of these forums where my questions may better be answered?

Timeline of delivery for Library materials, list of library materials, computer systems, networking? Hymn books etc.? Think of all the stuff in your ward building.

Thanks in advance.

Dean Phillips
Willamette Ward
West Linn, Oregon
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

evhfan2000 wrote:Timeline of delivery for ... computer systems, networking?
I don't know all the answers, but the method for obtaining computer systems for a new ward is laid out clearly in the Policies and Guidelines for Computers Used by Clerks for Church Record Keeping:
When a new ward is created in a location where MLS is authorized, the stake physical facilities representative contacts the FM group, which orders the new computer and printer.
If you're an existing ward (no new ward is being created), then you'll simply move your current computer to the new building. But if you are currently sharing a computer with a ward that is not moving with you into the same office in the new building, then the above policy would still apply for obtaining a new computer.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
deanphillips

Post by deanphillips »

We are not sharing a computer or any offices. If another ward is not going to be taking over the old Bishops office and clerks office, do they move the office furniture too?

I was thinking that the new building would come complete with a brand new everything but it does make sense that if the old computer was not being shared, no sense in buying a new one if the old one is just going to sit in an empty clerks office.

Any other insight from the group is appreciated. The must be a short manual on this whole process somewhere.

Dean
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

evhfan2000 wrote:I was thinking that the new building would come complete with a brand new everything but it does make sense that if the old computer was not being shared, no sense in buying a new one if the old one is just going to sit in an empty clerks office.
The administrative (clerk) computer will go with you to the new building. A new computer system and printer will not be provided.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Many years ago, before MLS, I was a ward clerk in a ward that was jokingly called the "vagabond ward" due to the frequent moves to accommodate a number of building renovations. In each case, we moved into a building that already had a functioning ward. So the only thing we had to move was the offices.

To the best of my memory, we took everything in the office that wasn't nailed down. The only exception might be file cabinets or desks and only if the new place already had those items built-in.

My advice is to check out your new office. Anything that's missing you'll have to bring with you.

I'd also suggest you review the record retention policy and shred anything you should have already dumped.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

evhfan2000 wrote:I was thinking that the new building would come complete with a brand new everything but it does make sense that if the old computer was not being shared, no sense in buying a new one if the old one is just going to sit in an empty clerks office.
We semi-recently had a new building completed in our stake. Once the construction is complete (which is all of the "nailed-down" stuff) a household moving company comes from Utah with all of the "non-nailed-down" stuff (including pianos). The moving company moved it all in the building, but most of it ended up in the middle of the gym. We had a ward "moving day" to put things where they belonged. You'll be surprised that they've thought of everything. More than once, we said, "Oh yeah, we needed one of those." I'm fairly certain you'll find everything you need for your offices, including a coat hanger for the clerk's office... :D

As for the computer, however, I'm with everyone else that you'll just have to move it (and your printer) along with you when you move.
deanphillips

Post by deanphillips »

Thanks oregonmatt. Hymn books, library stuff, sacrament table supplies/trays/linens etc....... Will they deliver new microphone cords / mics for blessing babies? Janitors closet stuff, vacuums.....the list goes on. I'd like to get a copy of the packing list. This will be a much larger project than most would imagine.

Dean
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

evhfan2000 wrote:Thanks oregonmatt. Hymn books, library stuff, sacrament table supplies/trays/linens etc....... Will they deliver new microphone cords / mics for blessing babies? Janitors closet stuff, vacuums.....the list goes on. I'd like to get a copy of the packing list. This will be a much larger project than most would imagine.
It is indeed a big job, but I think you'll find that your local FM group has a good handle on it. Have you coordinated with them? They will be heavily involved in the whole project, and will be able to tell you which of those things they are doing, and which, if any, your ward will need to cover.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
deanphillips

Post by deanphillips »

Is the FM group a paid position within the church?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

evhfan2000 wrote:Is the FM group a paid position within the church?
Typically, it's a full-time employee position, yes.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”