BYU TV website redesign is a big step backward - no Music and the Spoken Word replays

Discussions about other Church websites
mfmohlma

BYU TV website redesign is a big step backward - no Music and the Spoken Word replays

Post by mfmohlma »

To follow up on my post here, here is feedback that I sent through the BYU broadcasting website:
I am writing to express my extreme displeasure with the new website. Since we have church at the hour when Music and the Spoken Word is on, we have been very grateful that we can watch the broadcast every Sunday after we get home from church. This past Sunday we logged on to discover that the website had been redesigned and that the live video was not working at all. I see now (on Tuesday) that at least the live video works, but am extremely disappointed that Music and the Spoken Word appears to be among the programs that are not viewable unless (I assume) viewed live. If possible, I would like this decision reconsidered or be given some way that we could pay to be able to access this program. We already miss the beautiful music and spirit that we feel during this program. Thanks.
I'm not sure it'll do any good, but I had to try. We really don't want to pay upwards of $60/month to a cable company just for this one channel so we can view this one program.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

There was a post yesterday on BYU TV's Facebook page that indicated several programs were inadvertently put up for on-demand viewing they didn't have the rights to do that with. From the comments that followed, it looks like Music and the Spoken Word may have been one of those.

There are a number of audio rebroadcast options from station websites for these and more. Mormon Channel does it about three hours after broadcast, KSL-FM (KSL.com) rebroadcasts same-day at 1030pm MDT, KBYU-FM does the previous week's show twice on Sundays, and some affiliate radio stations air it the week after it's broadcast at times you may or may not be able to clearly find on their station websites.

I do not know of other live-feed Internet rebroadcasts, although a cable channel I know that also does it nationally is Hallmark Channel, but I don't know if they broadcast online or not.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

So licensing issues make it necessary to "unarchive" the program shortly after airing. Fair enough, though I wonder if they could negotiate with the license holders to allow this to occur. The main issue now is that so many people want to watch on Sunday that the site doesn't work at all. So we're back to having to watch it live, but being unable to do so because the site is completely hammered. Time to run:

svn revert site:byu.tv

;)
allenjblodgett

BYUTV at church

Post by allenjblodgett »

For the most part, you could set up a VCR or DVD Recorder to the church sattelite feed and record it. The church broadcasts BYU TV on its sattelite system when not broadcasting its own programs (General Conference, Regional Stake Conferences, Concerts, Devotionals, [ETC?]). Occasionaly you might miss it for the stake conferences, but other than that it will be on. I love watching at church every sunday at 10:30 (CST) before church starts. Does this help?
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

allen.blodgett wrote:Does this help?
Not really. You're making the assumption that I either have a satellite dish at home or have access to use the one at the stake center. I have neither. Thanks, anyway, for the thought.

Return to “Other Websites”