One Meetinghouse Internet Implementation

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
dmyers

Post by dmyers »

When you connected the clerk PCs to the broadband connection did you have to install any new Church software first? What was the process? Any Church approved process that you need to follow?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

drmyers wrote:When you connected the clerk PCs to the broadband connection did you have to install any new Church software first? What was the process? Any Church approved process that you need to follow?
If you follow the guidelines outlined HERE, you can't go wrong. ;)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

drmyers wrote:When you connected the clerk PCs to the broadband connection did you have to install any new Church software first?
Security suite software available at http://mls.lds.org must be installed before connecting to the internet. This software was required to be installed on all administrative computers back in January whether connected to the internet or not. But you should make sure it is installed before connecting to the internet.

Access to the MLS software download site requires your unit number and a password. Your STS should have the password. He also should be the one to make sure the software is installed on the administrative computers.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Post by SheffieldTR »

I hate to throw something out as an idea this late, but some have told me that they used the currently installed phone line as the pull string to pull 2 CAT5 (6) lines through the conduit. One is for the Internet and the other for the phone replacement line. Just an idea.
Troy
dmyers

Post by dmyers »

I have been installing all the updates over our modem line. How can I verify for sure if the security suite software is installed on the other clerk's PCs? Is there a version of MLS I can check for?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tsheffield wrote:I hate to throw something out as an idea this late, but some have told me that they used the currently installed phone line as the pull string to pull 2 CAT5 (6) lines through the conduit. One is for the Internet and the other for the phone replacement line. Just an idea.
It's possible. But you'll need to locate any boxes along the route. There's also some risk that you'll be unable to complete the task such that now you don't have a phone line.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

drmyers wrote:I have been installing all the updates over our modem line. How can I verify for sure if the security suite software is installed on the other clerk's PCs? Is there a version of MLS I can check for?
Sophos replaces Symantec for the security suite. Look in the system tray for the blue-grey shield and the blue-grey brick wall (firewall) instead of the yellow Symantec shield. LANDesk Manager has also been upgraded but I'm not certain of the version number. The Sophos suite is the important piece of software. MLS should be version 3.1.5.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dmyers

Post by dmyers »

Thanks for the help.
kh_design

ClearGlide & Pull-Line

Post by kh_design »

tsheffield wrote:I hate to throw something out as an idea this late, but some have told me that they used the currently installed phone line as the pull string to pull 2 CAT5 (6) lines through the conduit. One is for the Internet and the other for the phone replacement line. Just an idea.
Troy
I have also done it many times, works great (disclaimer: most of the time). My suggestion is to use ClearGlide & Pull-Line, the success of your pull will be greatly improved.

I use the existing cable to first pull through Pull-Line (high strength Poly fish line) and ClearGlide (Wire Pulling Lubricant). I say the ClearGlide is an absolute must when pulling data cables (small gage wire), You will be surprised how much easier it is to pull cable through conduit with ClearGlide.

Depending on how firm the existing cable seams to pull often before I even pull the existing cable I will blow ClearGlide into both ends of the conduit using a air compressor and/or vacuum the ClearGlide through from the opposite end, just take caution to secure the existing cable to not blow or vacuum the existing cable that is needed for pulling the Pull-Line. Although when this has happened to me, or if the cable snapped, I vacuum a fish string to pull through the Pull-Line or use a fish tape.

Consider before you start pulling replacement data cable 100Mbit/s only uses two pairs (4 wires) and the phone only uses one pair (2 wires). If the existing phone cable already has three pairs (6 wires) you do not need to pull replacement data cable. And yes, existing Cat3 will work just fine, your connected DSL or Cable ISP bandwidth is less then 10Mbit/s.

This link has a post about an interesting internet install I am waiting to see their resulting solution http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5020
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kh_design wrote:Consider before you start pulling replacement data cable 100Mbit/s only uses two pairs (4 wires) and the phone only uses one pair (2 wires). If the existing phone cable already has three pairs (6 wires) you do not need to pull replacement data cable.
While that may work, I cringe at the idea of phone lines (which use a 100 Volt ring signal) sharing the same wiring as the ethernet. I'd prefer them to be separate lines to have a little more distance between the pairs.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”