One Meetinghouse Internet Implementation

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

RussellHltn wrote:While that may work, I cringe at the idea of phone lines (which use a 100 Volt ring signal) sharing the same wiring as the ethernet. I'd prefer them to be separate lines to have a little more distance between the pairs.
I tend to agree with Russell. Cable is cheap. Besides, I would cringe to see someone down the road try to upgrade the Ethernet to GigE not understanding the whole picture. :eek:
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Sharing cable

Post by drepouille »

RussellHltn wrote:While that may work, I cringe at the idea of phone lines (which use a 100 Volt ring signal) sharing the same wiring as the ethernet. I'd prefer them to be separate lines to have a little more distance between the pairs.

Our stake center was wired with Cat6 cable for all telephones. Our FM guy tried to use the extra pairs to piggyback Ethernet on those cables, but it just never worked right. In the end, he had to pull two cables through the conduit. I think part of his problem was that he was untwisting the pairs too far away from the connectors.

Dana
kh_design

Keep Pairs Organized

Post by kh_design »

Dana.Repouille wrote:Our stake center was wired with Cat6 cable for all telephones. Our FM guy tried to use the extra pairs to piggyback Ethernet on those cables, but it just never worked right. In the end, he had to pull two cables through the conduit. I think part of his problem was that he was untwisting the pairs too far away from the connectors.

Dana
I find when multiple LAN100Mbit/s or LAN100Mbit/s with a Phone are in the same cable bundle and one of the LAN100Mbit/s just never worked right it was usually the pair colors on the non working LAN were mixed-up or the send/receive pairs where reversed in a crossover, it is an easy error for me trying to keep in mind which color matches up with which color at the terminations. When I have a LAN100Mbit/s with a Phone in the same bundle to Keep Pairs Organized I use the ring pairs orange and green for the LAN100Mbit/s (It is easier for me to keep the LAN pairs organized when the colors are the recognized orange and green) and the ring pairs blue, brown or grey for the phone. Phone pairs are easier to connect because standard use phones now manufactured if in connection error the Tip and Ring is reversed the dial out still functions. Yes, the best option is to have two cable bundles. However if this is not a cost effective or practical option in older buildings or older CMU buildings I would look into the function of using the simplest current install before more drastic installs are pursued.

Keeping the pairs twisted close to the connectors is critical for 1000Mbit/s certified terminations, not so much for 100Mbit/s, 10Mbit/s terminations. An interesting observation I made on twisted pairs was over 20 years ago, as I would ride in a car along a Rail Road I would notice a pair of parallel wires running from pole to pole, every few poles the wires would cross over top of each other, I did not know why at the time. When I was serving a mission in Mexico I met a American who is a retired electrician from the Rail Road and I asked him about my observation about the pair of parallel wires that would cross over top of each other at the poles and he told me, "They are a twisted pair for data/communication, the wire pair does a twist at the poles".
dmyers

Linksys Router signal settings

Post by dmyers »

Does anyone know if the Linksys WRT160-N router gives you the option to set (increase/decrease) the wireless signal level? I have not been able to find anything in my router that allows that. I have a cheap 2wire DSL router at home that allows that option. Hard to believe the Linsys would not allow that. Wondering if I am just looking in the wrong places???
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

drmyers wrote:Does anyone know if the Linksys WRT160-N router gives you the option to set (increase/decrease) the wireless signal level? I have not been able to find anything in my router that allows that. I have a cheap 2wire DSL router at home that allows that option. Hard to believe the Linsys would not allow that. Wondering if I am just looking in the wrong places???
The Linksys firmware locks the Tx power level. The only way to tweak it is using aftermarket firmware, such as DD-WRT.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dmyers

Post by dmyers »

Thanks. Has anyone done that? Would doing that help me to be able to increase the transmit power level? Just trying to get a little bit better coverage in our building. Not sure what the level is set at now with the factory default since you can't look at it.
dmyers

Post by dmyers »

Does anyone know how I get the password to the http://mls.lds.org website so I can download the security software? I know my unit number but do not know what the password is.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

drmyers wrote:Does anyone know how I get the password to the http://mls.lds.org website so I can download the security software? I know my unit number but do not know what the password is.
We obviously can't give it out to you here, but if you look at the wiki article MLS download site, it will explain how to get it.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drmyers wrote:Thanks. Has anyone done that? Would doing that help me to be able to increase the transmit power level? Just trying to get a little bit better coverage in our building. Not sure what the level is set at now with the factory default since you can't look at it.
I would expect that it's set to the maximum, or at least the highest without compromising reliability. Higher power translates to better coverage and better connect speeds. There are few situations that I can think of where you'd want it lower.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

drmyers wrote:Thanks. Has anyone done that? Would doing that help me to be able to increase the transmit power level? Just trying to get a little bit better coverage in our building. Not sure what the level is set at now with the factory default since you can't look at it.
You might be better off changing the antenna. Increasing power levels will help a distant laptop pick up the router, but it won't help the router pick up a weak laptop.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”