New Bishopric

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Post Reply
GeeGL
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:45 pm
Location: Provo, UT

New Bishopric

#1

Post by GeeGL »

We are going to have a new bishopric announced this Sunday. Can someone point me to a checklist of things that I (the Ward Clerk) need to make sure happen?

Adding new users to MLS. (and removing the old users)
Changing the callings for new bishopric members (or does the stake do that?)
Ordering new envelopes, letterhead and donation envelopes (or does the Church automatically send those?)

What else?

-Greg
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 2088
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:12 am
Location: South Jordan, UT, USA

#2

Post by jonesrk »

Greg4BYU wrote: Changing the callings for new bishopric members (or does the stake do that?)
The stake does the official version of the change for the Bishop (through the LUCR part of MLS).

You can change the Bishop locally in MLS, but that doesn't get the calling sent up to CDOL.

For the other callings (Councilors and any clerks, executive secretary) those are all done in the Ward MLS like any other calling.
nutterb
Member
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:06 am
Location: Berea, KY, USA

#3

Post by nutterb »

Greg4BYU wrote:We are going to have a new bishopric announced this Sunday. Can someone point me to a checklist of things that I (the Ward Clerk) need to make sure happen?

Adding new users to MLS. (and removing the old users)
Changing the callings for new bishopric members (or does the stake do that?)
Ordering new envelopes, letterhead and donation envelopes (or does the Church automatically send those?)

What else?

-Greg
Signature Card
Handbooks
Keys
lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 10650
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:27 pm
Location: US

#4

Post by lajackson »

Greg4BYU wrote:Ordering new envelopes, letterhead and donation envelopes

The ward does that. An order form should be in the bottom of the last box of envelopes or stationery you received.
nutterb wrote:Signature Card
Handbooks
Keys

Update MLS and then print out a new signature card. It is valid when you place it in the mail to Church Headquarters.

Those being released give their handbooks and keys to those being called.
nutterb
Member
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:06 am
Location: Berea, KY, USA

#5

Post by nutterb »

lajackson wrote:Those being released give their handbooks and keys to those being called.
Normally they do, but I've had to nag people for a few weeks before it's actually gotten done. It hasn't happened with bishopric handbooks yet, but I have had bishopric members (including the bishop) who don't always bring their keys to church with them.
golfteam
New Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:30 am

#6

Post by golfteam »

lajackson wrote:The ward does that. An order form should be in the bottom of the last box of envelopes or stationery you received.
I think the Stake form automatically gets the new Bishop his 'starter kit' i.e. letterhead, donation envelopes, etc. Please correct me if I am wrong.
lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 10650
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:27 pm
Location: US

#7

Post by lajackson »

$clerk wrote:I think the Stake form automatically gets the new Bishop his 'starter kit' i.e. letterhead, donation envelopes, etc. Please correct me if I am wrong.

None of the above. I am not quite sure what you mean by the "Stake form". If you mean the stake telling the Church that the new bishop has been called, all that does is update the Church Directory of Organizations and Leaders (CDOL).

Letterhead does not change, so the new bishop continues to use the existing letterhead. He (or his clerk for him) needs to order donation envelopes.

Now, if you are talking about a newly created ward, there is a set of supplies that the stake receives and gives to the new bishop when the ward is created and the new bishop sustained. But I do not believe the items you mentioned are part of those supplies.
Post Reply

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”