Calendar/Directory August release issues

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Calendar/Directory August release issues

Post by jdcr256 »

Calendar and Directory just released yesterday to new urls - new.lds.org/directory, and new.lds.org/church-calendar. I'm looking to get feedback on how they are working for you.

To be specific, I'm not looking for feedback (at least in this thread) on features that are missing, or improvements you would like to see. What I would like to know is:
  • Are you able to log in to the directory and/or calendar?
  • When you log in, do you see the functioning application?
  • Do you get a blank screen?
  • Do you see the UI, but no data?
  • Any other similar issues?
Basically, several people yesterday reported they were not able to see data in the application. I want to confirm if this was just a problem during the downtime that we were doing the deploy, or if the problem continues.

Thanks again for your help and feedback.
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

I was able to sign-in to both applications with these new URL's and move around within the applications and see all the data without any issues.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdcr256 wrote:Basically, several people yesterday reported they were not able to see data in the application. I want to confirm if this was just a problem during the downtime that we were doing the deploy, or if the problem continues.
Since the new deployment, the calendar is not functional for me. I verified this just moments ago, so it is not a temporary issue. Specifically:
  • I can login just fine, but that's about all that works
  • Nothing displays at all in the main calendar frame -- I just get an eternal spinner.
  • I can change from week view to month view (and the displayed date changes properly: from "8 August - 14 August" to "August 2010") I still have the eternal spinner where the days and calendar events should show up.
  • Under "Options" I only have "Select Subscriptions", "Create Calendar" and "Sync" (I no longer see the other options, IIRC they were Manage Calendars and Permissions). Of those, only Sync works properly; Select Subscriptions and Create Calendar take me to the correct pages, but the data areas of those pages are completely blank.
So the calendar just doesn't work for me. It's a good thing that my big presentation to our stake presidency was Wednesday night -- just hours before it stopped working.

On the other hand, the directory works just fine; its performance seems to be noticeably better than before, which I appreciate.

UPDATE: I removed my session cookie from the calendar, and now it seems to be working again. I should have thought of that before making such a big report. But for others who are having issues, they might want to try that simple fix.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

jdcr256 wrote:Calendar and Directory just released yesterday to new urls - new.lds.org/directory, and new.lds.org/church-calendar. I'm looking to get feedback on how they are working for you.

To be specific, I'm not looking for feedback (at least in this thread) on features that are missing, or improvements you would like to see. What I would like to know is:
  • Are you able to log in to the directory and/or calendar?
  • When you log in, do you see the functioning application?
  • Do you get a blank screen?
  • Do you see the UI, but no data?
  • Any other similar issues?
Basically, several people yesterday reported they were not able to see data in the application. I want to confirm if this was just a problem during the downtime that we were doing the deploy, or if the problem continues.

Thanks again for your help and feedback.
For the Calendar, I'm able to login but after that I get a blank screen.
For the Directory, I can login and then I get the shaded background and page framework but no text.
Attachments
directory.jpg
(19.61 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
mprusse

Same here

Post by mprusse »

For the Calendar, I'm able to login but after that I get a blank screen.
For the Directory, I can login and then I get the shaded background and page framework but no text.
aebrown
Community Administrator

New URLs for new.lds.org

Post by aebrown »

Alan_Brown wrote:Since the new deployment, the calendar is not functional for me.
I would also note that I read right over the rather important note that there were new URLs. What I reported was for beta.lds.org; almost everything works fine for new.lds.org.

There is one odd problem that seems to be new. When the data first displays after I sign in to the calendar, it defaults to the week view, so it is displaying August 8-14 right now. That's fine. The problem is that for August 8-10 the all day events are duplicated. For example, we have Family Home Evening on Monday; it appears twice. But when I refresh or move to a different week or to the month view, the double display stops happening.

UPDATE: Before I even posted this message, when I went back to try to get a screen shot, I now get a 502 error whenever I hit new.lds.org and can't see any page at all. Here's the text:
Proxy Error The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
The proxy server could not handle the request GET /.
Reason: Error reading from remote server
Additionally, a 502 Bad Gateway error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
UPDATE to the UPDATE: Before I even posted the above update, I hit the site one more time. Now it's working again; there is no 502 error, and the duplicate events no longer appear. I'd better post this soon -- who knows what else will change if I keep looking at the site?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ihenpecked

Post by ihenpecked »

macsense wrote:For the Calendar, I'm able to login but after that I get a blank screen.
I am getting a blank screen as well. Do I need to clear cookies?
Update: Cleared cookies and cache in FF and still getting blank screen.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Alan_Brown wrote:There is one odd problem that seems to be new. When the data first displays after I sign in to the calendar, it defaults to the week view, so it is displaying August 8-14 right now. That's fine. The problem is that for August 8-10 the all day events are duplicated. For example, we have Family Home Evening on Monday; it appears twice. But when I refresh or move to a different week or to the month view, the double display stops happening.
I spoke too soon about this problem going away; it's still happening. When I first enter the calendar, I see:
Calendar-Doubled.png
Calendar-Doubled.png (7.48 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
but after I move to any other page and back again, or do a browser refresh, I see:
Calendar-Single.png
Calendar-Single.png (7.93 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

As for me, I did clear cookies and was going to the new URLs. Still nothing as previously posted.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

I can log in to the directory and calendar

After log in, I see the UI for the directory, but no data appears to be attempting to load. I just get a white screen for the calendar.

cleared my cookies and cache, tried again, got nothing.

Return to “Main Church Website”