Adoptive Parents MLS & New Family Search

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Daryl1

Post by Daryl1 »

I agree with you. MLS should be able to match legal records. I agree. The purpose of MLS is to help leaders track members progress towards eternal life.

All I am saying is it would be nice someday for MLS to be able to match legal records better. When Clerks try to enter legal documents into MLS and MLS does not allow it to be entered correctly this makes the Clerks look bad and members can than get disgruntled. That is the point I am trying to make.

New Family Search is seeing what can be done if anything. I am getting some help from them now with my cases.:)

Thank you.
owentami1

Post by owentami1 »

idjeeper wrote:I'm struggling to understand the issue here. I have two adopted children. They are my kids, sealed to me and my sweetheart. The judge required me under oath to promise to treat them exactly the same as our other children.

When I go to New Family Search they show up in our family - I wouldn't want it any other way. To me, possibly because I am a genealogy novice, I just don't see the need to make the distinction about which of my kids are biological and which are adopted. Is there some reason that this is important that I don't get?

Not trying to be a smart aleck, I really would appreciate some education here.
I adopted children when they were young children, but not babies. Their biological parents were sealed in the temple. I've legally adopted them but I would like their deceased parent to recognized as well as me. Otherwise I can see your point.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

oats wrote:I adopted children when they were young children, but not babies. Their biological parents were sealed in the temple. I've legally adopted them but I would like their deceased parent to recognized as well as me. Otherwise I can see your point.
Thank you for your reply. My kids were also older (6 and 7) when we adopted them, but their mother and father were not married, so the circumstances are different. Their biological mother passed away and we have since done her temple work, but obviously she is not sealed to a husband and the kids are not sealed to her.

It seems that your situation would be somewhat similar to my great-grandfather as far as New Family Search is concerned. His father married a woman who had been married before and had kids by the first husband. They then had more children. In that case, all of the kids are listed as hers but some are listed under the first husband and the rest under the second husband. Then some notes explaining what happened. Your experience is not exactly the same, but you can kind of see how it might be handled. And to stay on topic, this doesn't do anything in MLS.

As you are well aware, adoptions come with great blessings and great challenges. I think the only ones who truly appreciate that are those that have experienced it. You've heard it before, but thank you for opening up your heart to someone else's kids and making them yours as well.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”