multiple cameras and microphones

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
jviola

multiple cameras and microphones

Post by jviola »

We are trying to put together our broadcast for stake conference in early September. I will probably have more questions, but I was wondering where place your microphones? Also what kind of microphone do you use? I was told our sound system doesn't have an audio output. Do use separate mics for the speaker and the choir? Also, we plan on using two of the song cameras. Can someone recommend an affordable video splitter. Also, can we view both cameras on the computer and switch between them. Is that part of the meetinghouse software or will I need to use a different software.

Sent from my HTC cell phone.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jviola wrote:I was told our sound system doesn't have an audio output.
You may want to scout around the pulpit and control area. It may actually have a output - it's just no one knows about it.

But you'll still need mics for the choir.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jviola

Any suggestion for an affordable video splitter?

Post by jviola »

Can someone recommend a video/audio splitter for maybe 2 or 3 cameras and 1 or 2 microphones.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

jviola wrote:We are trying to put together our broadcast for stake conference in early September. I will probably have more questions, but I was wondering where place your microphones? Also what kind of microphone do you use? I was told our sound system doesn't have an audio output. Do use separate mics for the speaker and the choir? ...
If there is no hardwired audio output from the PA system, one option would be to use the headphone output of a hearing-impaired receiver. The receivers are supposed to be kept in the library--at least at the last time I was instructed on the matter. The audio quality may not be superb, but it should be reasonably good. You'll want to watch the audio levels, because the hearing-impaired unit may clip harshly if it gets overdriven.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

jviola wrote:Can someone recommend a video/audio splitter for maybe 2 or 3 cameras and 1 or 2 microphones.

Please do not split microphone signals (need to know what you are doing, and a failure such as a short would be devistating to a meeting). Find a line level audio feed from under the clerk's desk, next to the pulpit, from the hearing imaired receiver, etc.

Line level audio (headphone level) can be split with a 'Y' cable (Radio Shack)

Composite video (camera) can be split with a Video Distribution Amplifier (Radio Shack)

RF (television) can be split with an RF splitter (Radio Shack)

Cameras (video) can be properly switched with a Video Mixer but a video or game switch can do the job in a pinch (the video will be unstable when you switch feeds)

Hope this helps.
jviola

Multiple Cameras

Post by jviola »

On page 7 of the Meetinghouse Webcast guide it say that there are 3 Video in composite. Plus, there is a S-Video in. Does that mean that I can setup 3 connections from 3 composite sources and 1 from S-Video and the communicator can handle all 4? Can you hook up and monitor on the DVI out connection and see the output? Can you hook up a USB keyboard and mouse on the communicator or is it setup only to run from the front menu?

If anyone can share more light on it I would appreciate it. Our Stake Conference is Sept 12th.
jviola

Post by jviola »

Does anyone know the answer to my question? We need to order items soon and I need to know if the webcast communicator can have more than one video source connected to it or do we need to purchase a video mixer?

thanks.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

The following replies are from a contact I have that is familiar with the "inner workings" of the Webcast Communicator. I have no personal experience with the box myself.
jviola wrote:On page 7 of the Meetinghouse Webcast guide it say that there are 3 Video in composite. Plus, there is a S-Video in. Does that mean that I can setup 3 connections from 3 composite sources and 1 from S-Video and the communicator can handle all 4?
No - you can either use Composite 1 or S-Video as the Windows Media Encoder Software only allows one video source at a time. Some stakes have handled multiple cameras with an external switch with multiple inputs, and a single output going from the external video switch to the Webcast Communicator.
jviola wrote:Can you hook up and monitor on the DVI out connection and see the output?
No - the DVI out connection is only used to see the windows XPe Desktop like a regular computer monitor. That is why the "Test" mode is provided with a minimal encoding delay so you can see the output on a receiving computer.
jviola wrote:Can you hook up a USB keyboard and mouse on the communicator or is it setup only to run from the front menu?
You can hook up a keyboard, mouse, and monitor and you can see the Windows XPe Desktop and interact with it as you would any XP-based PC. There is a minimized program on the toolbar that is running the front panel and also provides error messages for troubleshooting. Keyboard, mouse, and monitor interaction is only needed for troubleshooting purposes. The Communicator was setup to run entirely from the front panel without keyboard, mouse, and monitor interaction at all.
jviola

Post by jviola »

Thank you very much for the clarification.
heyring

Broadcasting

Post by heyring »

oregonmatt's answers are completely correct.

Dual cameras must be either mixed or switched before the signal enters the webcast communicator.

In our Stake Center broadcasts - we have two objectives. Distribute the camera signal through the building modulator to the ancilliary rooms around the Stake Center, and also get a clean signal into the communicator to be broadcast to our other three buildings.

We have two cameras - and send the signal into a video mixer where we can do our switching between the two views, and also add the hymn text for the outlying buildings.

You probably don't have time to put this type system in place before your September conference, but could maybe shoot for it for the next one.

Regarding audio - We leave the house audio as-is and don't modify it in any way so that it can be used in the Stake center the way it was intended. For our broadcast audio signal that goes to the webcast communicator, we have a completely separate audio system wired to an audio mixer where we mix the audio mic levels before broadcasting.

We have 5 mics (3 choir mics, one hanging in the sound chamber for the organ, and one on the sound board of the piano) for the pulpit mic audio, we split it under the pulpit into our own audio system. This way we can completely control the audio that gets broadcast.

We have one luxury that most do not, and that is that one of Bonneville Communication's elite Engineers is in our Stake and he has helped us develop this system.

I hope sharing some thoughts of our methods will help you in some way.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”