Using MRN vs Indiv Id as the id for members

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
tadchristiansen-p40

Using MRN vs Indiv Id as the id for members

Post by tadchristiansen-p40 »

I am in the process of designing a web application that will use some of the information from the MLS. My first thought was to use the MRN as the id for my members table. After reading through some stuff it looks like this is supposed to be treated as confidential. Does that mean I shouldn't use it for the id? I would just use the Indiv ID but that could change since it is only used on the local MLS. Perhaps I could have my own ids and then have a separate table that maps my ids to MRN's? Would that be ok? Or am I just making a big deal out of something that really isn't that big of deal (using MRN's as an id to my members table). Just curious what you guys thought. Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What exactly do you mean by a "web application"? We've been asked not to upload MLS data to third party websites. That may prove to be a much bigger restriction on your plans.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Absolutely MRN is confidential info. As far as church info goes, that is your social security number. I would say your app should not use MRN at all. There are, of course, other concerns. I know of well intentioned, useful apps for gps mapping that have had to be taken down for the reasons RussellHltn mentions.
tadchristiansen-p40

Post by tadchristiansen-p40 »

What exactly do you mean by a "web application"?
I am in the process of getting it approved. Its an application that will track talks and prayers given. As well as track callings and create agendas for sacrament meeting.
We've been asked not to upload MLS data to third party websites
Understood. It would hopefully be available form the LUWS. Is it still a concern if its a feature added to the ward website? If it is then I will just use the Indiv ID.

Thanks for the responses.
Tad
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

As church employees, we are restricted from using MRN's in public web apps, and discouraged from using it for internal applications. Definitely stay away from using MRN's at all.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”