Can't Stream General Conference

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Scion, I would think it might also help if you could identify what OS and version, along with what application and its version number(s) you are using.

I remember seeing something a couple of years ago that Microsoft's media formats had a new version that would cause choppiness and drop-outs like you were describing--unless you used a newer version of their player software. Just in case something like that might be involved, the version numbers would help reduce the search space.

Also, what kind of numbers to you get from speed tests on your internet connection?

What is your packet loss rate to a well-known domain that answers pings? Run at least 20 packets to see whether 5-10% are being dropped.
lionelwalters

Post by lionelwalters »

Is anyone else experiencing issues with the Move player at the moment? It hasn't worked for me (on any of the Win XP and 7 PCs I've tried both at home and at various chapels in our stake) for close to a month now. The page (for example, www.lds.org/move) loads black "with errors" and never proceeds to load the player. On the rare occasion when the play itself loads, none of the video content plays.

On a side note, I've also noticed that the folks at BYU-TV have redesigned their site and now nothing there works for me! Is this just a local issue or are others experiencing this too?

Thanks in advance!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

http://www.lds.org/move makes many calls to movenetworks. However, it appears to me that Move Networks has redesigned their site which completely breaks the lds.org site.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

lionelwalters wrote:On a side note, I've also noticed that the folks at BYU-TV have redesigned their site and now nothing there works for me! Is this just a local issue or are others experiencing this too?
On Sunday, we couldn't get any live video up on the new BYUTV website. Very disappointing. Yesterday (Monday), the live video was working, but I noticed that you could not choose all of the programs to go back and watch. Only some of them were clickable. Music and the Spoken Word was one of the programs that is no longer available for viewing after the fact. Very frustrating when you have church at the time that the program is on. :mad:

(Posted a new thread here.)
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

If the live stream is available as a conventional format like WMV or MP4, and if you have access to some programs commonly available on Linux, you could download the stream in real time while you are at your church meetings and then watch the downloaded file later. The mplayer program with options -dumpstream and -dumpfile <filename> ought to do the job. You should be able to use cron to start the stream automatically. I don't remember the name of the option, but I seem to recall seeing an option that would limit the duration of the download.
Mr.Intel-p40

No Move for General RS Broadcast

Post by Mr.Intel-p40 »

Our family noticed that the General RS Broadcast was showing in Flash, which is very disappointing. Not only is it a more closed format, but the quality was very lacking. I sincerely hope that Move is back for general conference. Our family usually watches on a large enough television that the flash player is almost unbearable to look at. Any word from the church on plans and/or why the move away from Move?
dltayman

Post by dltayman »

I watched the Relief Society broadcast through the new player on my large sized HDTV. The picture quality was gorgeous - HD quality. The only problem was that it kept halting and re-buffering - which led us to eventually just bring up the Mormon Channel app on my Android and listen to it from there. Perfect, clear, uninterrupted audio :)
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Mr.Intel wrote:Our family noticed that the General RS Broadcast was showing in Flash, which is very disappointing. Not only is it a more closed format, but the quality was very lacking. I sincerely hope that Move is back for general conference. Our family usually watches on a large enough television that the flash player is almost unbearable to look at. Any word from the church on plans and/or why the move away from Move?
From the sounds of a news story posted to another thread (http://newteevee.com/2010/01/26/the-fal ... -networks/), I would not expect the Church to move back to Move. It sounds like Move isn't there to go back to.

I just tried watching the archived General RS Broadcase using Flash, and I found it consumed nearly 100% of CPU time on my 2003-vintage single-core 32-bit computer. It also had significant buffering/stuttering issues. In comparison, the WMV general conference test feed using mplayer (on Linux) consumed only a small fraction of CPU time.

Based on reports from others, the Flash stream may also be using more bits per second than other threads, which may impact those with lower downstream bandwidth.

It wouldn't surprise me if the performance and quality of the streamed broadcasts improve over the next few conferences as the Church and the developers involved gain experience with this particular program.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rmrichesjr wrote:I just tried watching the archived General RS Broadcase using Flash, and I found it consumed nearly 100% of CPU time on my 2003-vintage single-core 32-bit computer.
I don't know why, but it seems like in the past year or so, Flash suddenly requires more horsepower to run YouTube videos then it did before.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

The matter of Youtube is because they began to take more 1080p and similar HD quality videos, and another matter is it also may depend on what server Youtube has the video on, as I find problems with videos on some servers and not others.

Return to “Main Church Website”