MLS change - temple recommend activation (caught by surprise)

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jeromer7

Post by jeromer7 »

ihenpecked wrote:And you still can't do a hard lamination on these new cards, correct?

Actually, another problem we've dealt with is the barcode and related number becoming unreadable. The recommends are left in the standard temple-issue plastic holders while scanning, but over time, the barcode and number still are affected by friction as the holder goes in and out of pockets, wallets, etc.

If the barcode won't scan, there is a manual entry method whereby the worker at the recommend desk can enter the number printed above the barcode. My 1st barcoded recommend lasted about 14 months before the barcode and number were unreadable. I obtained a new recommend with the existing info copied from the old one. I put a piece of clear tape over the barcode end to help with the wear and tear.

On a trial basis, the temple department gave the temple self-laminating holders that were given to patrons whose barcode was noticably wearing, but was still readable. These were not to be given to all members, just those who needed them to prolong the life of the recommend. So, yes, in limited cases, there are laminated recommends held by non-GA individuals.
JLR
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn wrote:1) The paper can be re-printed at anytime by logging in to the site.

2) The primary means of locating a membership record is the name and birth date.

As such, there seems to be ample "backup". It's a possibility, but unless the computer file is "right there" I'm not sure if that angle is going to get much attention.

Also, the person asking for the cards may not be the submitter, but a friend of the submitter. Remember, the paper pulls up the entire submission, not just one name. I don't know, but I suspect the barcode is only used to generate the family file cards. Once printed, the cards will be processed the same way they are now.

Also since the temples will have internet access they could just print out the barcode there and then scan it in to get your submission.
- David
RonaldF-p40

Post by RonaldF-p40 »

Our Temple has received some of the hardware for the new bar coded recommends. As of Last Sunday our ward has not received any materials. The Temple has been told that the system will be fully implemented within the next four months for the entire temple district. It is interesting to see the implementation of new technology as it develops. I understand the problems with barcodes becoming unreadable. The next step will be for the Stakes to print the recommend on a plastic card like that which is used at Costco or Sam’s Club. The cards would be more durable (even washable!). A photo could be on the card for greater security.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Though for something that is only going to last 2 years? Even credit cards are for 3 years and costco membership cards are until upgrading, termination or a lost/stolen card.
- David
jkarras-p40

Post by jkarras-p40 »

If you went with a plastic card you wouldn't need to get a new card. The barcode takes care of it. After you are interviewed and its renewed the clerk would update your info.
RonaldF-p40

Post by RonaldF-p40 »

jkarras wrote:If you went with a plastic card you wouldn't need to get a new card. The barcode takes care of it. After you are interviewed and its renewed the clerk would update your info.
The card would have to have the expiration date and other information printed on it so it could be used at those temples that do not have the new system. Printed information would be required in case of equipment failure. The card would need to be replaced upon expiration. We all know that “electronics” needs backup! Security is the prime reason for the new system. A card with printed info and photo would be a good backup. The photo is updated every two years and the card would have enough info to allow entry to any Temple in case of equipment failure.
luvmelody

Post by luvmelody »

RussellHltn wrote:I'd expect the MLS admin should be able to edit the permissions. As far as I know, MLS doesn't have a "stake level" user or admin. All users are local users. There may be a login for the stake, but they are still just local users. I've never seen where the stake MLS makes changes to the ward MLS.

Not unless MLS had undergone some major changes.

Wards can change the permissions for users to view only. The Stake is the ones that have full access to the recommends to edit and activate or deem lost or stolen. To change the permissions for the users to view the recommends at the Ward level check with the Bishop first who should have access rights in your ward. Then go to Sytem Options in MLS and choose a user and change the permissions to view recommends. Remember to validate all users and their permissions frequently.

luvmymelody:)
kfindlay

Barcodes and activated recommends should help greatly.

Post by kfindlay »

I think the reason they are going to barcodes again is to more closely track lost and stolen recommends. If a recommend becomes lost, you notify your local leaders who can immediately tag your recommend number as lost, if someone comes to the temple with that recommend it will tell the front desk that the recommend has been lost. There is currently a big long list kept at the recommend desk and automating this will greatly improve the screening process at the temple.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The longer the list, the less likely it will be checked. (Just human nature.) And since a recommend is good for any temple ....
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

That seems pretty lame that someone would steal a temple recommend and then go to the temple with it.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”