Stake budget check

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
quicky

Post by quicky »

I would love to just see my SFS so that I could begin writing checks to the wards. They will receive everything they have coming as soon as I am able to do so, but it is getting late in the year for a lot of their holiday planning. Most wards do not budget a specific amount of $ for Christmas here, but adjust Christmas party plans to live on the money that is left at the end of the year.

I am not understanding why the SFS hasn't shown up. My only solace is that the HQ financial folks have been working a lot of long hours but it is self-induced. My hours, on the other hand, have been dictated by HQ financial problems. How I wish there had been decent training prior to the rollout. While a discussion forum is great and needed, going to a discussion forum is not actual training. In reality it is a cheap and easy way of avoiding putting $ into developing decent training. KQ
brodine

Post by brodine »

Quicky wrote:I would love to just see my SFS so that I could begin writing checks to the wards. KQ
I got tired of waiting and called CHQ. They were very kind and immediately emailed a pdf version of the SFS to my Stake President, who then promptly forwarded it to me.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Quicky wrote:I would love to just see my SFS so that I could begin writing checks to the wards.
I can't give you a reason why they are not coming, but if your wards just need a rough idea, you can get that from your September SFS. There is a summary page that will show you each unit's total September budget expenses as well as their YTD total expenses. Subtract the YTD amount from what their 2010 budget was, and that will give them a ballpark figure to begin planning with. Sure, the actual amount is going to be a little bit less than that, but chances are their expenses from Oct 1 to Oct 17 will only make minor adjustments to estimate and shouldn't affect their plans for the party.
rwoodmansee

Post by rwoodmansee »

I received our Oct. 2010 SFS from the stake president yesterday. I would assume that he received it in his mail box on Fri. or Sat.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RWoodmansee wrote:I received our Oct. 2010 SFS from the stake president yesterday. I would assume that he received it in his mail box on Fri. or Sat.

A stake clerk in a neighboring stake received the Oct SFS from his stake president this weekend, who said he had just received it. This clerk is really on top of things, and had already prepared a spreadsheet and run the math using the numbers he had. All he had to do was input the Oct data and he is ready to issue checks this week.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

crislapi wrote:I can't give you a reason why they are not coming, but if your wards just need a rough idea, you can get that from your September SFS. There is a summary page that will show you each unit's total September budget expenses as well as their YTD total expenses. Subtract the YTD amount from what their 2010 budget was, and that will give them a ballpark figure to begin planning with. Sure, the actual amount is going to be a little bit less than that, but chances are their expenses from Oct 1 to Oct 17 will only make minor adjustments to estimate and shouldn't affect their plans for the party.
Another option is to use the post-CUBS expenses total listed in the Budget:Budget Administration subcategory on Oct 19th, 2010. All current year expenses should have been collapsed to this category, so that should also give you a very good idea of how much money they have left for the year.
quicky

Post by quicky »

Tuesday evening: My Stake President called and said he had gotten the Oct. SFS in the mail today. He said it was through the 31st of the month. I was lead to understand that there would be a break-out of each ward's YTD totals (I have them through Sep. 30) through Oct. 17th. I will not see the SFS until Wed. eve. but does anyone know whether the expenses are broken down into two date ranges? Thanks, KQ
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Quicky wrote:Tuesday evening: My Stake President called and said he had gotten the Oct. SFS in the mail today. He said it was through the 31st of the month. I was lead to understand that there would be a break-out of each ward's YTD totals (I have them through Sep. 30) through Oct. 17th. I will not see the SFS until Wed. eve. but does anyone know whether the expenses are broken down into two date ranges? Thanks, KQ
See this post.
mjgainer

Post by mjgainer »

How exactly does one "cut a check" to a ward? How does the ward process it so the money does not just get funneled back to Church Headquarters? Sorry, I'm kind of new to this whole thing and don't quite get it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mjgainer wrote:How does the ward process it so the money does not just get funneled back to Church Headquarters?
When processing the "donation" the ward indicates that it's to go to a Budget category. (Not Tithing, Fast Offering, etc.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”