Retrieving Old Budget information

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
bastahmer

Post by bastahmer »

crislapi wrote:I'd point you to this post which has discussed this already.
Thanks, that helped - I am now getting to where I can click on the Restore Files. However, I am now getting a message when I try to restore that says that "Java Platorm SE binary has stopped working." I have re-installed the MLS, but get the same error. Could it be I have an incorrect Java version? Any ideas?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

MLS contains its own java install bundled with it, so no, it's likely that is not your problem. This post contains a similar problem, but no report on if the suggestion worked. This post related to java errors gave some more suggestions. Unfortunately, that post is still open-ended.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

I have read a number of threads regarding the retrieval of the old information and I guess my finance newbyness is setting up a roadblock for me. So if this question seems silly please forgive me.

Why is it necessary to know what the old budget category amounts were?

I ask this because my understanding is that as of October 17, we are starting at zero, adding whatever the Stake determines to give us, and go from there. In my simple mind, it does not matter what an organization had before. Their only concern is what they have now (or soon will have).

I have to be missing something - if someone has the patience to explain, I will appreciate it.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

idjeeper wrote:I have read a number of threads regarding the retrieval of the old information and I guess my finance newbyness is setting up a roadblock for me. So if this question seems silly please forgive me.

Why is it necessary to know what the old budget category amounts were?

I ask this because my understanding is that as of October 17, we are starting at zero, adding whatever the Stake determines to give us, and go from there. In my simple mind, it does not matter what an organization had before. Their only concern is what they have now (or soon will have).

I have to be missing something - if someone has the patience to explain, I will appreciate it.
The stake will give you one lump sum of money to work with, that most likely corresponds to your ward's total remaining budget allocation.

But of that lump sum, how much goes to the Relief Society? How much goes to the Elders Quorum? etc. All those budget figures will be at 0 on October 24. You need to transfer portions of that lump sum to each of those subcategories. You can only know those numbers if you have a Budget report (summary by subcategory) for October 17 or you can reconstruct those numbers some other way.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

After working through 9 units plus the stake computer I have found that the data saved on the 17th of October is critical moreso for the "Other" accounts than the old budget categories.

I recommended to the units in our stake that with the deletion of some of the old unit specific Budget cateories (combined youth events, missionary, Bishopric/Clerk, and so forth) they end the year just using one or possibley two of the new categories and work out of them while it gives them time to figure out what categories they need to build in and have ready for the start of next year. Thus the need for knowing the old remaining balances and spending hours putting funds back into the remaining categories wasn't critical. The Bishop should have already had a fair idea of how the unit's auxiliaries stood budget wise and what still needed to be funded through the end of the year.

The data in the Other categories is far more important in my mind. Funds identified for Family History Centers, Boy Scouts, Young Women camps etc was really scrambled when the conversion lumped four years worth of data into one column and one needed to spend time figuring out how to get the exact amounts back to read what they did on the 17th.

Thus to me (and my opinion only) was that the printouts on the 17th were critical to rebuilding the Other accounts. A couple of our units failed to print out those reports which caused me to have to recreate them via using an another computer, installing MLS, and inserting a bak file to get that data. (of course I was extremely careful to uninstall MLS and associated files off the non unit computer - I actually used one of the family history computers to get the printouts and then uninstalled the MLS program)

Just explaining my idea of why the printouts from the 17th were/are critical.
jpapke-p40

Need MLS 3.2.3

Post by jpapke-p40 »

I guess my stake is behind the ball in figuring out that we need to restore some of our wards back to a Oct 17 database to retrieve data that CUBS has wiped out. We were going to follow the instructions on using a stand alone computer with its clock turned back to Oct 17 but now that MLS 3.2.4 is out I can no longer get the 3.2.3 version off of the MLS download site. Does anyone know of an archive? If some one has an installer there are ways to share the file securely and not post to a public site. Please reply to this post and we can work it out.

Not having a good time in Meridian....

Jeff Papke
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jpapke wrote:I guess my stake is behind the ball in figuring out that we need to restore some of our wards back to a Oct 17 database to retrieve data that CUBS has wiped out. We were going to follow the instructions on using a stand alone computer with its clock turned back to Oct 17 but now that MLS 3.2.4 is out I can no longer get the 3.2.3 version off of the MLS download site. Does anyone know of an archive? If some one has an installer there are ways to share the file securely and not post to a public site. Please reply to this post and we can work it out.
You don't need 3.2.3 -- 3.2.4 will work just fine for this procedure.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”