new calendar "Create Event" button

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
mprusse

new calendar "Create Event" button

Post by mprusse »

Moderator comment: This post and several following it were moved from the Calendar Best Practicesthread since the first post of this new thread had created a new discussion within the prior thread.
Alan_Brown wrote:This was discussed several months ago on the thread Beta calendar event submission. They will choose the "Create Event" button, then select that calendar and fill in the rest of the event details.

It also appears that the "Create Event" button isn't available for everyone. As a bishop I can see it but when I log in as my wife that button is no where to be found.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

macsense wrote:It also appears that the "Create Event" button isn't available for everyone. As a bishop I can see it but when I log in as my wife that button is no where to be found.
Hmmm. That's interesting. It was when my wife (who has no special permissions beyond being a member) was logged in that I saw this. It was the same for her on two different browsers -- the Create Event button was in its usual place (just left of the Print and Help buttons).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kyleq

Post by kyleq »

The Create Event button does not show up until the user is subscribed to a calendar.
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

My wife is subscribed to 15 ward calendars and still there is no Create Event button. Clicking on a date also does not bring up the create event box.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

macsense wrote:My wife is subscribed to 15 ward calendars and still there is no Create Event button. Clicking on a date also does not bring up the create event box.
I would guess that she would need to be an editor on at least one of those calendars to see the Create Event button.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ryan jones wrote:I would guess that she would need to be an editor on at least one of those calendars to see the Create Event button.
My wife has a Create Event button, but she is not truly an editor on any calendar. However, there is something odd going on, which I think is relevant.

A couple of wards (not our ward) have created a bunch of ward-level calendars. My wife cannot subscribe to those calendars (since they are not for our ward), but in the Create Event dialog, the dropdown for "Calendar" includes all those calendars under the "UnSubscribed Calendars" heading, and any of those calendars can be selected.

When one of those calendars is selected, a message appears at the bottom of the Create Event dialog: "You have rights to create events on this calendar, but because you are not subscribed to it, events that you create or edit will not be shown on your calendar screen until you subscribe."

That is really odd -- she certainly has no rights to create events on another ward's calendar, and she also has no ability to subscribe to any of those calendars. This is clearly a bug that those other wards' calendars would show up this way. If indeed the visibility of the Create Event button depends on having edit rights for some calendar, it could be that this bug is the reason the Create Event button appears.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Alan_Brown wrote:My wife has a Create Event button, but she is not truly an editor on any calendar. However, there is something odd going on, which I think is relevant.

If indeed the visibility of the Create Event button depends on having edit rights for some calendar, it could be that this bug is the reason the Create Event button appears.
I just looked at the calendars with my wife's account and she didn't have the Create Event button. I then created a test calendar and added her as an editor. She then had the Create Event button.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Old calendars follow you wherever you go

Post by jdlessley »

More than five months ago I moved. I was the STS in my previous stake and had created several calendars for that stake. I was the editor for those calendars. I had also added other stake officers, including my successor, as editors. At that time I was unable to remove myself as editor for any of those calendars.

I now find that those calendars have followed me to my new location. At least that is how it appears when I click the "Create Event" button on the new.lds.org calendar. All of those calendar titles appear below the bolded title "UnSubscribed Calendars" in the dropdown list "calendars". However, since I am no longer a member of the stake to which those calendars belong I get the note about not being able to save my changes because I am not subscribed to those calendars.

Since I have not created any calendars in my current unit (or added as an editor to any of my current unit calendars) I was expecting to find no "Create Event" button when I went to the new.lds.org calendar. So it appears that the programmers have another issue to work out for calendar editors who move out of unit.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Calendar”