Proper Ward to record out of unit baby blessings?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
coloradotechie-p40

Proper Ward to record out of unit baby blessings?

Post by coloradotechie-p40 »

Last year we had a family bless their baby out-of-unit. It was finally realized this past month that there was no record created for their baby.

I suggested that they come to the clerk's office so we can get the information recorded. They told me that they're just going to have the clerk from the ward where the baby was blessed do it.

Is that even possible? I figured that they could theoretically create the record in the other ward, but then the records would have to be transferred to our ward? And then we'd have to add the record to the existing household?

It seems like it would be better if we just created their baby's record in the ward where the family's records are.

Thanks~!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

coloradotechie wrote:Last year we had a family bless their baby out-of-unit. It was finally realized this past month that there was no record created for their baby.

I suggested that they come to the clerk's office so we can get the information recorded. They told me that they're just going to have the clerk from the ward where the baby was blessed do it.

Is that even possible? I figured that they could theoretically create the record in the other ward, but then the records would have to be transferred to our ward? And then we'd have to add the record to the existing household?
It's not only possible -- it is the correct documented procedure. See the instructions in the MLS Software Manual under Blessing a child from another ward; it says that the ward clerk in the ward where the blessing took place creates the record, specifying the unit name and number of the home ward, as well as the name and member record number of the head of household. That way the record will be created in the correct ward and automatically be placed in the correct household -- you don't have to do any record transfer or adding to the existing household.

This procedure makes sense, since the bishop of the ward where the blessing occurred presided over the ordinance and so he is the one who can direct that the ordinance be recorded.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
coloradotechie-p40

Post by coloradotechie-p40 »

Awesome! Thank you so much, the link to the manual was perfect!

Return to “Membership Help”