Duplication of work

Transition from Temple-Ready to the FamilySearch Family Tree and products supporting ordinance reservations and status.
JohnkWebb-p40

Duplication of work

Post by JohnkWebb-p40 »

has anyone looked into the amount of duplicated work now being done due to the new family search website.
also any numbers on how many people have stopped submitting names for temple work since the change from Temple Ready?

my experiance is that it one of the worlds worst software packages arround. i have 35 years of family history work and 25 years of working in the computer industry (mainly hardware) and i have not found such a dificult program to work with. a lot of members i meet also find it hard and a lot of older members have stopped submitting.
i also have suffered from a lot more duplicates since this program came on board
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JohnkWebb wrote:has anyone looked into the amount of duplicated work now being done due to the new family search website.
also any numbers on how many people have stopped submitting names for temple work since the change from Temple Ready?
I don't think any such numbers are published, and only the Family History and Temple departments could possibly have the data necessary for such analysis.
JohnkWebb wrote:my experiance is that it one of the worlds worst software packages arround. i have 35 years of family history work and 25 years of working in the computer industry (mainly hardware) and i have not found such a dificult program to work with.
I have a few more years than that in the computer industry (mostly software), and I have used hundreds of applications that are more difficult to work with than New FamilySearch. Although it's not perfect, I think it is a big step forward in usability from previous offerings, and it keeps getting better.
JohnkWebb wrote:a lot of members i meet also find it hard and a lot of older members have stopped submitting.
I know that change can be difficult. New FamilySearch does have a completely different model from other applications. Instead of creating your own data, you are collaborating with the rest of the world to create one unified set of data. That requires quite the change in thinking. But with a good attitude, we can all help each other to make the change. Then our efforts will benefit everyone instead of just ourselves, which is a tremendous improvement.
JohnkWebb wrote:i also have suffered from a lot more duplicates since this program came on board
I find that strange. It's a lot easier to find duplicates now; one of the main purposes of the new software is to reduce duplication. Of course, each submitter has the responsibility to check for duplicates, as has always been the case. Since it's easier to find duplicates records, that should reduce the total duplicate submissions. I'm sorry that you are not seeing that benefit.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

On duplication, I've heard that under the old system one in six names submitted was a duplicate, and the goal is to have that down to maybe one in a hundred. Elder Nelson said in General Conference we have made headway on the duplication issue.

There are still a lot of names submitted and ready for work that are in the queue from the old system, so we will see duplcates for some time yet, but soon it will clear up, and much more of what we do will not be for names that have been done before.

One of the limitations of TempleReady was it relied on CDs and manual lookups on the website. Things would be missed, things could not be found readily. I even went on the new site and cleared a name, only to find later that for some reason the possible duplicates screen did not readily find one entry for that name, that entry had the work done on it, so there will be a few things that will 'get through' even despite our best efforts yet.

There is even a small amount of ordinance data that is actually missing, they find a few from time to time, but that can also account for duplciation, and it could help especially if we are unable to eventually find all of it. They were cleaning out a piece of furniture in the Salt Lake Temple once recently, they opened a drawer, found a number of paper sheets containing information on ordinances, and got that over to the Family History Department who found they had ordinance information they didn't have before.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

Alan_Brown wrote:I find that strange. It's a lot easier to find duplicates now; one of the main purposes of the new software is to reduce duplication. Of course, each submitter has the responsibility to check for duplicates, as has always been the case. Since it's easier to find duplicates records, that should reduce the total duplicate submissions. I'm sorry that you are not seeing that benefit.
Oh, I am seeing a great benefit. With the New Family Search, I have a new step mother and step brother, both deceased. Only problem is that it makes my late father a polygamist. The information is labeled as having come from Church Membership Records. I have spent about six hours on hold trying to get through to see if I can get it straightened out, but with the CUBS conversion keeping everyone busy, I can't even get to a first level support person.

From what I was told when I called NFS support, they are doing away with the option to dispute erroneous information, only allowing you to "open a discussion" about it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rpyne wrote:I have spent about six hours on hold trying to get through to see if I can get it straightened out, but with the CUBS conversion keeping everyone busy, I can't even get to a first level support person.
Have you verified with the Family History Department that you have to go to LUS to straighted it out?

It's likely your father's record was erroneously combined with someone else's to create those false step relations.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Alan_Brown wrote:
JohnkWebb wrote:i also have suffered from a lot more duplicates since this program came on board
I find that strange. It's a lot easier to find duplicates now; one of the main purposes of the new software is to reduce duplication. Of course, each submitter has the responsibility to check for duplicates, as has always been the case. Since it's easier to find duplicates records, that should reduce the total duplicate submissions. I'm sorry that you are not seeing that benefit.
I think that part of the 'problem' might be that the new family search exposes the duplication much more readily. I'm glad that they are working on getting all the data they have combined and visible. I agree it is a bit of a pain to deal with, but it is better to deal with it now then continue entering duplicates and having the problem continue to grow.

Return to “Temple-Ready”