Ward Maps

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
srweight

Wish Kevin's VBS app would work for me.

Post by srweight »

kevandcan wrote:I've continued to receive a LOT of feedback from folks wanting access to the WardMap I had hosted. I've explained to them I can't, due to the reasons posted earlier in this thread. As such, I created a VBS file that anyone can run on their Windows machine and consume their Ward Member CSV file from LDS.org. It solves the 2 issues posted by Tom and lets folks still have a ward map quickly and easily...without sharing your ward data with anyone.

http://wardmap.theballfamily.org

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin, et al, this sounds like a wonderful program, but when I run it I get a error message. I will try to attach a jpg file of the error message - not sure that it will work. Any help would be great!
kevandcan

Post by kevandcan »

srweight wrote:Kevin, et al, this sounds like a wonderful program, but when I run it I get a error message. I will try to attach a jpg file of the error message - not sure that it will work. Any help would be great!

The error is coming from the following line of code:
Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Be sure you are running this on Windows XP or later. If not, you may need to install Windows Scripting Host -- available for free on the Microsoft site.
scottholmes-p40

Works in vista

Post by scottholmes-p40 »

bkh8 wrote:Has anyone been able to get this program to work on Windows Vista? I have tried to comment out the spots that Kevin says to in non xp computers, but i still get error reports. I have very little programming experience so any help would be great. Thanks
I was able to get it to run in Vista by commenting out the lines requested, then running it from a command prompt that is set to "run as administrator". You still get some security warnings from IE, but it works. You need to be in the directory with the script and type "wscript WardMap.vbs".
terrysackett

What's Going On With It Now?

Post by terrysackett »

So is there a working version of this utility yet that is authorized for use? :confused:
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

SR Ward Clerk wrote:So is there a working version of this utility yet that is authorized for use? :confused:
Yes, there has been for some time. But you must only run the "local" version of the script. It is ok to export data from MLS and run it through a utility you trust locally on your own machine or a ward computer. The problem was when this was being hosted on a web server that was not a church-hosted server.
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

I have to admit that I don't know how to install the feature. I downloaded both files as instructed, but I don't know what to do to make it function.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

SR Ward Clerk wrote:I have to admit that I don't know how to install the feature. I downloaded both files as instructed, but I don't know what to do to make it function.
So you have the VBScript file and your MLS membership export CSV file?

All you should have to do if you're running on XP is double-click the VBS file. There isn't any installation of a program. Are you getting an kind of error? Are your running an OS other than XP?

When I went to his site, there were instructions on what to do if you are not on XP or if you have Adobe Flash errors.
mtolman-p40

Ward map not populating

Post by mtolman-p40 »

Wow has Kevin ever hit a need nerve !!

I downloaded the files as instructed, am running XP, have my ward directory etc. But when the app starts I get what looks like the correct application but no map etc. I simply have a nice pale blue screen with his title page at the top and the instruction bar on the left, but no map in the right (main panel).

Is there an underlying app that may have been stripped off my corporate machine?
opee

Post by opee »

mtolman wrote:Wow has Kevin ever hit a need nerve !!

I downloaded the files as instructed, am running XP, have my ward directory etc. But when the app starts I get what looks like the correct application but no map etc. I simply have a nice pale blue screen with his title page at the top and the instruction bar on the left, but no map in the right (main panel).

Is there an underlying app that may have been stripped off my corporate machine?

When I first tried to get it to run, I had the same error, and I seem to remember that the permissions were not set correctly in the Adobe software. You also have to make sure that you allow the ActiveX plugin to run. Hope this helps.
kevandcan

Troubleshooting

Post by kevandcan »

opee wrote:When I first tried to get it to run, I had the same error, and I seem to remember that the permissions were not set correctly in the Adobe software. You also have to make sure that you allow the ActiveX plugin to run. Hope this helps.

First off, it's wonderful to see the 100s of folks who download this applicationand report back that it is useful. It's immensley gratifying to have a small hand in helping people with the work of the Kingdom. I can't wait to see it implemented on the LUWS...:rolleyes:

Second, I continue to get folks emailing me on how to make this app work. I encourage users to 1) read the instructions on my website about this (http://wardmap.theballfamily.org/map.asp) and 2) ensure they DON'T open/save the csv file in Excel (it changes the common delimiter).

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”