Declaration Report Showing Moved Out Members?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ckmcdonald wrote:I believe All Members is all members of the ward (have memberships).
I believe the other 3 are subsets of All Members.
If this is correct, the report should never include anyone whose records aren't in the ward?

Donors are not always Members. And some Donors who are Members are not among the All Members of the current ward. So Donors is not a subset of All Members. It includes any of the All Members who actually donated, along with those from outside the membership of the unit who also donated.

All Members includes each person who currently has a membership in the ward. That way, the bishop can see that there is a tithing declaration for All Members of the ward.

Nondonors and Undeclared would be subsets of All Members. Some members will not have donated, and will be included in the Nondonors filtering parameter. And the bishop, needing to see that there is a declaration for All Members can filter the Undeclared to concentrate his inputs with those records.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

lajackson wrote:Donors are not always Members. And some Donors who are Members are not among the All Members of the current ward. So Donors is not a subset of All Members. It includes any of the All Members who actually donated, along with those from outside the membership of the unit who also donated.
While it's true that there may be donors that are not part of the All Members group, I don't believe they show up in this particular report. Selecting Donors from the drop-down will only show member donors. (I'm no longer in a finance clerk position, so I can just base my remarks from playing with the test unit data.)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

I experimented a little with MLS (3.2.4) today and found:

All Members: Is a list of all members with memberships in the ward*.
Donors: Is a subset of All Members - those who have donated.
NonDonors: Is a subset of All Members - those who haven't donated.
Undeclared: Is a subset of All Members - those who aren't declared.

* I started this thread based on the observation that the All Members list for my ward included 2 families that had moved and we don't have their memberships.

First I need to make some corrections to my earlier comments in this thread. 1. I have 3 families being populated on the list for whom we don't have their memberships, not two as I stated earlier. 2. I stated one of the families moved out last summer and stated that's when the memberships left as well. After discussing this with our Membership Clerk, I have discovered that all 3 families memberships were moved out during the first 2 weeks of December.

Given the above, I'm guessing what happened is that I first generated the Declaration Report before the memberships were moved out and that MLS isn't designed to drop names later if the memberships leave. The reverse isn't true... you can use the Add Members button and add members whose memberships arrived since the report was first generated. I have done this and seen it indeed add new members.

So I believe the mystery is resolved - however I must state the above is a conjecture as I don't remember for sure when I generated the first Declaration Report or the actual date the memberships were moved out.

I entertained the idea that maybe MLS had a fixed date in December sometime for which it "froze" the membership list for the Declaration Report but this doesn't seem likely. It seems much more likely that it has to do with when the report is first created.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ckmcdonald wrote:Given the above, I'm guessing what happened is that I first generated the Declaration Report before the memberships were moved out and that MLS isn't designed to drop names later if the memberships leave. The reverse isn't true... you can use the Add Members button and add members whose memberships arrived since the report was first generated. I have done this and seen it indeed add new members.

So I believe the mystery is resolved - however I must state the above is a conjecture as I don't remember for sure when I generated the first Declaration Report or the actual date the memberships were moved out.

This does sound correct -- thanks for following up with the investigation and reporting your findings.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”