Events in Multiple Calendars

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jross

Events in Multiple Calendars

Post by jross »

With the new calendar, I'd like to add a single event to multiple calendars. For example, a combined YM/YW activity belongs in both the YM and YW calendars. Is there a way to add it to multiple calendars or do I have to create two events -- one for each calendar?

Thanks!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jross wrote:With the new calendar, I'd like to add a single event to multiple calendars. For example, a combined YM/YW activity belongs in both the YM and YW calendars. Is there a way to add it to multiple calendars or do I have to create two events -- one for each calendar?

You can't currently add a single event to multiple calendars. You need to create two events (but beware of issues with resource conflicts if you create multiple events) or create a separate combined YM/YW calendar. This was discussed at some length here (there are quite a few posts in that thread on the topic, mostly after the post I linked to).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

JRoss' point is different. He's saying don't make multiple calendar, and instead allow for filters. Everything should hit the software once, so there is only ONE entry in the database. The users then "subscribe" to a filter, not a calendar. The filter then grabs those events that meet a set criteria.

No duplicate calendars; just many user-manageable filters.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tortdog wrote:JRoss' point is different. He's saying don't make multiple calendar, and instead allow for filters. Everything should hit the software once, so there is only ONE entry in the database. The users then "subscribe" to a filter, not a calendar. The filter then grabs those events that meet a set criteria.

No duplicate calendars; just many user-manageable filters.
Actually, JRoss's point is not a different point. If you read the linked thread, you'll see that the concept of having a single event appear in multiple calendars is indeed discussed there. The discussion started with a question of how to work with the new calendar as it stands right now (which requires a lot of calendars, or duplicating an event on multiple calendars) but then migrated to a discussion of how the calendar application might be changed to accommodate this situation better (which covered the idea of a single event on multiple calendars).

On the other hand, I don't really understand your suggestion of subscribing to a filter, but that sounds like a different approach from what JRoss described and which was discussed in the threads I linked to. But both approaches do have an event on only one calendar.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”