Mormon Channel for the Roku Channel Store

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

sgoodmansen wrote:I'd love to see the background changed to reflect the church, currently its showing a picture of the Wright brother's airplane.
The design has been updated and will reflect the design of the current Mormon Channel branding campaign. A big thank you needs to go to one of our community developers for getting the ball rolling on the channel. The plan is to take the current work that has been done and integrate it in to our media management system for distribution.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

sgoodmansen wrote:Is this a project you need testers for?
LDS Media Talk had a great little write up on the Mormon Channel and invited testers. We had a great response and when we get close hope to use many of those who responded to help us test the channel. Drop a note to avdmtech@ldschurch.org and your name can be added to the list. Also see the article at http://ldsmediatalk.com/2010/12/28/expl ... n-channel/
wnukem

RE: Mormon Channel for the Roku Channel Store

Post by wnukem »

I added this channel a month ago. Went through the content then removed it. I added this channel today (01 Mar 2011), so much has changed! Loved going through the content. I can already see great content for FHE. Looking forward to having General Conference live streaming.

I was worried about the quality of the video when the Roku said it was only 2 dots but it comes in really nice. I love where this channel is going. Great work.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

wnukem wrote:Looking forward to having General Conference live streaming.
We just started a live conference alpha test. If there is interest in participating drop an email to avdmtech@ldschurch.org and we'll send the information on the private channel. We will stream the general Young Women Meeting and all the Sessions of Conference with the exception of the Priesthood Session. This test is for April 2011 General Conference.
ethanasbury

roku channel

Post by ethanasbury »

I am glad to see that a channel is in the works for the roku from the church.
Any news about when this channel will be available?
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

ethanasbury wrote:Any news about when this channel will be available?

The public Roku Channel is in production now. There are many IP related issues to securing content to play on the channel but those are close to resolution. We are hopeful that reviews will go well and permission will be granted to release the channel in the next couple of months. Thank you for your interest.
ethanasbury

Alpha test

Post by ethanasbury »

Is the alpha test full or are you still accepting candidates to test still?
And if it is still open should I just email you to sign up?
scott793992

Post by scott793992 »

Music and the Spoken Word would be a GREAT addition to a ROKU channel! I love this idea! I would love to be a part of any test groups if there are still openings!
jj5484

Post by jj5484 »

Regarding the LDS Video Podcast channel on Roku, is there any way that all the General Conference sessions can be positioned within the same folder? Right now as it stands there is a General Conference folder with April 2010 and October 2009 addresses and, if you scan almost the whole way to the right, there is another General Conference folder this time with October 2010 addresses. Why wouldn't all the general conference addresses be within the same folder system for ease of use navigation purposes?

On a secondary note, earlier in the above string there was a question about the need for a mormon channel, a BYUtv channel and an LDS Video Podcast channel. Having three seems overkill as many of the items are duplicates. So far the best interface and organization of content of the three is the BYUtv. IMHO it could quickly/easily be loaded with the content from the other channels and serve as a "one-stop shop" for all LDS content. Overall though, thank you for doing such a great job in getting this setup and out. I am sure that more than just LDS folks are watching it -- serving as an excellent missionary tool. Thanks!!!!
jribble

Post by jribble »

The LDS Video Podcast channel has gotten a little messy as I worked on a Mormon Channel channel. Currently the Podcast channel is showing categories for both channels. I haven't cleaned it up because of focus on the Mormon Channel and because I expect that the Podcast channel will go away once the Mormon Channel is available.

The LDS Video Podcast channel was just something written by me that is nothing more than a hobby project. The Mormon Channel and BYUtv channels are the official channels and have a member and non-member focus respectively, as they do in their current non-Roku aspects. From what I understand the Mormon Channel is having a somewhat slower ramp up because of content licensing issues. BYUtv already has a lot of video content online and can simply make that same content available on the Roku. Mormon Channel is new to video and they are finding that much of what they planned to put online they can't because of licensing issues. At least, that's what I understand being an outsider not working for the church.

Return to “Digital Media”