Collecting funds for Singles Conference via Paypal

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

nbflint wrote:Here is the process as explained on PayPal's website (using the Send Money Now option):
3.Recipients in the US can withdraw the money by:
Spending it online
Transferring it to a bank
Requesting a check
Using a PayPal Debit Card
Under the "Request a check" option, PayPal just told me:
A fee of $1.50 USD will be applied to each check withdrawal.
There also does not appear to be a way to have the check made out to anyone other than the PayPal account owner/registrant. While it may be convenient for the participants, it still feels like an auditing/accountability nightmare waiting to happen.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

nbflint wrote:The cost of sending $100 via PayPal's send now to "Friend and Family" is:
Fee if you pay with:
PayPal Balance: FREE
Bank Account: FREE
Credit/Debit Card: 3.20 USD
In addition to what the others have said, I might point out that technically the stake is offering a service for the funds (the conference), so as I see it, it would be against the PayPal User Agreement to collect funds for an event like this using the free "Personal Payment" method. (I'm not anything close to being a lawyer, just a long-time PayPal account holder.)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kylehart

Post by kylehart »

aebrown wrote:I liked the earlier suggestion to have wards (meaning bishoprics) collect funds, and then pass them on to the stake. Or funds can be given directly to a member of the stake presidency.

I think that would be fine for a smaller local or regional event, but in this case, the conference gets a few hundred attendees from all over the country. Having their local bishops in their home state (not stake) collect funds is not practical.

There are definitely some varied responses here. I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been asked before. Certainly makes for an interesting discussion.

In my mind it boils down to this:
1. There are costs involved in running the conference
2 Those costs are passed on to the parcitipants
3. We want as many people from the entire country to participate as possible
4. We want to make it easy for them to do so
5. Nobody is making any money on this
6. Funds have to be collected somehow
A. A check can be mailed to my Stake/Ward for this and funds entered into MLS and the participant added as an out-of-unit donor to the "Other" category
B. People can use Paypal, put this on their credit cards, get airline points, and not have to look for an envelope (and of course, using Paypal drives conference costs up a few dollars per user)
B1: the conference organizers have an always-up-tp-date list of participants that have registered

Option 6B is what every other conference in the company seems to do but apparently it may bump up against some policy/accountability issues.

I appreciate everybody's thoughts on this.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

kylehart wrote: 6A. A check can be mailed to my Stake/Ward for this and funds entered into MLS and the participant added as an out-of-unit donor to the "Other" category
I was thinking that individuals would make the donation in their home ward (no out-of-unit donors) then these funds could be send as a group from each ward (or stake) to your Stake. You would probably want some kind of notification that a person's registration had been paid from that ward/stake so that you could keep your registration list up to date. It would also reduce the number of individual checks/other unit donors you would have to process on your side.
silid

Post by silid »

I am surprised this hasn't been asked before too. I have been involved in numerous conferences and we have always wanted to be able to collect funds electronically. To me the most obvious answer would be to have the church collect the money centrally. The church can take cards at distribution, why not to pay for events?

A problem the tech team could solve is being able to register for events including events that cost.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

aebrown wrote: I see no reason why this conference would change the standard rules for handling funds: money is given to priesthood leaders.

I don't know that this is a general rule. I agree that the handbook is clear on the collection of tithes and offerings(these are sacred funds); but conference fees is neither of these.

From a propriety standpoint I agree that having the funds deposited and managed by the clerk ultimately is the best route. I just don't know that someone(e.g. An auxiliary president) other than a priesthood leader is aloud to gather payment and submit to the clerk. This is how we handle fund raiders. The organization president collects the funds and then gives the entire amount to the clerk.

Edit: The option is also given to make payment via a donation slip/envelope (which then is only collected by the Bishopric) for anyone that would like it individually recorded.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nbflint wrote:This is how we handle fund raiders.
:D Love the Freudian
I assume you mean "raisers".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

Yes, who put the d next to the s anyway?

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

nbflint wrote:I don't know that this is a general rule. I agree that the handbook is clear on the collection of tithes and offerings(these are sacred funds); but conference fees is neither of these.

It is indeed a general rule. The term "Tithing and Other Offerings" on the donation slip is much broader than you might assume from the words themselves. If you review the online training course Understanding and Using the “Other” Category, you will see that we are directed to use the "Tithing and Other Offerings" slip for any payments made to the "Other" category. That would cover the YSA conference that is the topic of this thread, as well as any other funds received by a unit of the Church. The only exception mentioned is for Aaronic Priesthood holders who collect fast offerings.

Furthermore, please remember that the safeguards that are built into the official procedures for handling funds are there to protect both the person making the payment and everyone who handles the funds. Ignoring those procedures because you think a particular situation is an exception exposes everyone involved to unnecessary risks.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

In addition to what aebrown has pointed out there is also the issue of the Church protecting and maintaining its tax exempt status.

Without appropriate chain of custody measures using the companion principle for any funds collected and used for any Church sponsored event then all kinds of challenges can be made against those collecting, holding and transferring those funds. Following Church policies and procedures will protect those handling those funds.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”