Stake and ward leadership position are gone...

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
dshep2020

Stake and ward leadership position are gone...

Post by dshep2020 »

So, I went to check out the classic version of the stake and ward leadership positions on the old unit web site and our stake and ward positions are no longer visible. You can click on the position groups, but there is no data that is shown. I have been using he new directory and calendar for since the first of the year so really didn't notice.

Is this an issue with our stake/ward or are the leadership position listings now only available from the new directory?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

dshepher wrote:So, I went to check out the classic version of the stake and ward leadership positions on the old unit web site and our stake and ward positions are no longer visible. You can click on the position groups, but there is no data that is shown. I have been using he new directory and calendar for since the first of the year so really didn't notice.

Is this an issue with our stake/ward or are the leadership position listings now only available from the new directory?
Our leadership directory in the classic web site is still present and populated (although it's not been kept up to date). I'd assume someone at the stake and/or ward level removed all leadership data but I suppose there could be a system problem affecting your ward and stake.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Based on the conversations I've seen on the forum, the most likely explanation is that the powers that be that were in charge of the old directory were going to discontinue updating it. Rather then having old, outdated information, and causing confusion - it was deleted.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Based on the conversations I've seen on the forum, the most likely explanation is that the powers that be that were in charge of the old directory were going to discontinue updating it. Rather then having old, outdated information, and causing confusion - it was deleted.
That's exactly what we did in our stake. Our stake presidency decided not to maintain two sets of data, and yet over time the old leadership directory became out of date and thus counterproductive.

When we deleted the old leadership directory, we did have a few complaints from people who were using mobile applications that depended on the old site, but now there are other good alternatives, so those complaints have died down.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

So it was my stake who removed the leadership information from the classic LUWS? Just curious if the have that ability.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

By default, in the classic LUWS, the stake admins have full rights to the Ward as well. Perhaps they pulled it because it was out of date and wasn't being maintained.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

The one thing I miss from the old directory is the ability to list the High Council by seniority.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TinMan wrote:The one thing I miss from the old directory is the ability to list the High Council by seniority.
With MLS 3.2, there was a specific change to remove any ability to list the high council by seniority. The release notes said:
Members of the high council should not be listed by seniority of service. Only Apostles serve by seniority.
So the way the high council is listed on the new directory is simply another reflection of that directive.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

The login page at the classic site now shows two really big options to "Check out the new Local Unit Tools!" at the lds.org site. They are so big, in fact, that they run right off the edge of my monitor and I have to scroll to get to them. One link is to the New Calendar; the other to the New Directory.

One of the few items left on the classic calendar is an item that the calendar is now maintained at lds.org and on the home page under the welcome notice at the classic site we have added a note that the Leadership Directory and other portions of the site are no longer maintained. In practice, when someone is released, we delete the name from the old leadership directory and do not load a replacement.

The only downside we are experiencing is that the new calendar is a mess, and we have not come to terms with its display issues. We used to disseminate a lot of information in the classic calendar popup window. The new calendar just does not seem to be able to display as much information in the comment field, and we cannot tell anyone where something is taking place using the location box because of all the conflict issues.

We are hoping that things will settle down as soon as we calendar drivers have a way to see what is really showing to the members and can tweak accordingly. And, although the site has some nasty interfaces with Firefox, it is at least consistent, and if we remember the quirks and are careful, we can muddle through those challenges, as well.

In any event, we decided to start practicing the new stuff now, since the classic site is going away this year at some point.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”