Software Study Journal

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
thegordo

Post by thegordo »

We will announce the 0.1 version here, at least. To give people an update of where we are, we have been able to nearly get a design for the database structure done, and have a base interface design.

For the .1 release, the current plan is have the following minimal functionality:
  • download the scriptures and other articles from online for local storage.
  • Present the scriptures and their footnotes
  • Allow the user to take notes
There might be other functionality that goes into it, and short of looking through all the discussion those who are contributing have had, that covers the basics. I think a good release estimate for the 0.1 release would be late September to October, but that is only an estimate. It could be sooner or later. It certainly shouldn't take us that long, but we are working on this on our spare time and spare time can become very slim depending on life events.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Once it is ready it will be announced here on the board under this thread and also on the sourceforge page that is hosting it.
- David
lluther

Post by lluther »

thegordo wrote:We will announce the 0.1 version here, at least. To give people an update of where we are, we have been able to nearly get a design for the database structure done, and have a base interface design.

For the .1 release, the current plan is have the following minimal functionality:
  • download the scriptures and other articles from online for local storage.
  • Present the scriptures and their footnotes
  • Allow the user to take notes
There might be other functionality that goes into it, and short of looking through all the discussion those who are contributing have had, that covers the basics. I think a good release estimate for the 0.1 release would be late September to October, but that is only an estimate. It could be sooner or later. It certainly shouldn't take us that long, but we are working on this on our spare time and spare time can become very slim depending on life events.
Hi

I am new to this forum, and I am really excited to hear that someone is developing a Software Study Journal for us LDS folks because I have looked at some many different tools like Pocket E-sword and Spiritual Journal but none of these pieces of software support LDS standworks as an option to download. Not even if you have them on PDA already. I am just inquiring to see where the progress is on your new journal. I have checked the Source site, but I don't see anything. I really hope this will be out soon as I really need something like this right now to help me with my scripture study.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Thanks for your interest in the program. Though I am wondering if you are wanting a Pocket PC version. As it currently stands we are developing a Java version that runs under the Java Virtual Machine. As for when it will be release in a usable form, we just want to make sure that most of the bugs are out and the promised features are in.
- David
lluther

Post by lluther »

thedqs wrote:Thanks for your interest in the program. Though I am wondering if you are wanting a Pocket PC version. As it currently stands we are developing a Java version that runs under the Java Virtual Machine. As for when it will be release in a usable form, we just want to make sure that most of the bugs are out and the promised features are in.

I am wanting a Pocket PC version do you have any suggestions?
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

If you want the ability to mark the scripture on your Pocket PC, I recommend Mark My Scriptures. I am not the author, just a customer who is happy with the product. the site is something like skimware.com I think. A google search will turn it up easy. A nice free software is Yancey Ware's scripture library. I believe both are linked to from the handheld section of lds.org.

thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I personally use YanceyWare which I like because I can also compile my own books in addition to the Scriptures. In addition, I can customize almost any part of the program to my liking. The one disappointment I have with the current version is the inability to mark parts of a verse.

Another benefit is that there is a pretty large library that it supports.
- David
seanmcox-p40

Somewhat Related Project

Post by seanmcox-p40 »

I just noticed this thread today and thought it interesting as I've been working on a similar project to help myself maintain my own scriptural notes. I call it the Scripture Topical Guide. The main purpose behind the project was to gather citations that I found interesting and arrange them topically (hence the program's name) so that I could find them for lessons, study, etc. Citations can have some explanatory text associated with them and I have also added the ability to add notes to topics. (Notes being any thoughts one might have not directly linked to a specific citation.)

The citations are recorded in an XML format and there is an export to HTML feature allowing the topical guide to be published to a traditional web page. (notes and citations can be marked private)

I haven't released the program to the public yet, but plan to do so (v0.1) withing a couple of weeks. I have a wiki-based site designed for the program and I just yesterday published my own topical guide to my website for the first time. (I started organizing things on paper, but I'm now completely digital apart from the random receipts I write good quotes and references down on.)

I'll let you know when there's a download available (probably just a zip). I think your project is substantially different (not to mention larger in scope), but perhaps you might find the program interesting to peruse. I'm currently mulling around the idea of making the project open source, but for now, if you're interested in the source, you can get it by asking me. (I'm not sure how that works on this forum.)
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Great job and if you don't mind I am sure we might be able to just get some ideas from the program to incorporate into the SS+ program once you release it to the public.
- David
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I look forward to seeing the application as you release it.

Tom

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”