DELL 580 BSoD ATI driver infinite loop

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
clayjm

DELL 580 BSoD ATI driver infinite loop

Post by clayjm »

I've recently received 2 new DELL Optiplex 580's with Windows XP 2002 installed on them to replace existing outdated PC's. I spent considerable time getting them both up to date (SP3, etc...) and while the first one works fine, the second one I setup has a periodic Blue Screen of Death which I have attached a picture of. ...problem seems to be caused by the folloing file: ati2dvag ...device driver got stuck in an infinite loop...

I've tried rolling back the driver, but it remains the same. I have looked for newer drivers on DELL's website as well as AMD/ATI's website. Any other suggestions?

TIA,

Michael Clay
Soldotna STS
Attachments
BSoD_ATI_infinite_loop.jpg
(102.19 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Welcome to the forum and sorry about the problems you are experiencing. I haven't seen this myself, but a quick Google search shows this has been an ongoing problem for a few years now with many different makes/models of PC's.

There are varying solutions offered, but I'm sure some are model specific. For example, some fixed it by simply updating to the latest BIOS version. The solution offered in the first post of THIS thread seemed to work for the widest group of platforms and is worth looking at.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
clayjm

Post by clayjm »

Thanks for the reply Mikerowaved. I googled it too before I initially posted here. The machine was just built in January and was shipped with the most recent BIOS. This is the 4th DELL Optiplex 580 deployed in our stake since Nov 2010. After using the link you provided and re-reading postings there I am increasingly inclined to think that this is probably a hardware issue in this instance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

clayjm wrote:I am increasingly inclined to think that this is probably a hardware issue in this instance.

If you can arrange to swap the hard drives, that would prove it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

clayjm wrote:After using the link you provided and re-reading postings there I am increasingly inclined to think that this is probably a hardware issue in this instance.
After studying it out more, I'm inclined to agree. I'm sure these have the on-board video, so swapping video cards as a test would not be feasible. Do you have a spare (cheap) video card you could drop in, thereby disabling the on-board video and see if that solves the problem? If so, you could either run with it like that, or point to that when working with Dell to show you have a problem.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

Can you boot into safe mode and replace/update the driver from there? It sounds like forcing the replacement of the driver with the latest version from the mfg's website would be in order.

Edit: I would download whatever Dell has listed as the latest driver and tell XP to select the driver manually.
Aaron Z
pbhanney

Post by pbhanney »

I am so glad that I am not the only one that has had this problem. I have tried to install new drivers, but I seem to be having the same problems. However, I have not tried to put a new video card in since I am a ward clerk and not the STS. My amazement with these new computers is that they come with a license printed on them for Windows 7, but they come with Windows XP installed. I understand that for awhile MLS was not compatible with Windows 7. Is this still the case? (Sorry, I found the answer to my question on this thread - https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.p ... -Windows-7). However, I will continue to watch this thread to see if there is any development. Thanks!
clayjm

Post by clayjm »

The BSoD does not occur every time the computer is used. It is infrequent.

This is a NEW DELL PC. Why should I spend time swapping the HDD from another newly installed PC or try putting in a video card? Shouldn't this be covered under DELL warranty repair?

When I called Church HQ I asked some questions about things that do not make sense to me (such as new PC's sent out with Windows XP 2002). The most common reply was "I don't know." One of the things that I was told is that MLS 3.3.1 works with Windows 7.

Michael Clay
Soldotna STS
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

clayjm wrote:The BSoD does not occur every time the computer is used. It is infrequent.

This is a NEW DELL PC. Why should I spend time swapping the HDD from another newly installed PC or try putting in a video card? Shouldn't this be covered under DELL warranty repair?

When I called Church HQ I asked some questions about things that do not make sense to me (such as new PC's sent out with Windows XP 2002). The most common reply was "I don't know." One of the things that I was told is that MLS 3.3.1 works with Windows 7.
The posts recommending swapouts of hardware are to help trouble shoot the issue. You will get better results for a warranty replacement if you can demonstrate that the issues are caused by hardware. It is unlikely that Dell will replace the computer if their tech people think the issue can be rectified by replacing drivers or any other system configuration adjustments. They will just run you through a battery of driver updates and/or configuration changes and waste your time.

If there is an OS disk for Windows 7 included in the packaging there is nothing preventing you from installing it. The sticker indicates that the Church has paid the license to use it on the computer. If the 580 ships the same way a 740 did, then there should be a disc with Windows 7 as well as a disc with Windows XP that came with it.

There is no reason of which I am aware not to have Windows 7 installed. MLS versions prior to 3.3 were the holdups to upgrading to Windows 7. That limitation no longer applies.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
clayjm

Post by clayjm »

I understand that recommending swapouts of hardware are for troubleshooting. I just do not want to bother taking the time to do it when this is a problem that may occur only once every so many random number of hours of use. I've only seen it twice in the 15 or so hours I've used it so far. When I last asked the Stake Clerk he had not seen it yet and he has been using it. I worked professionally for 14 years in IT support and some of those years were doing desktop support and repair of PC's, so I know that I could potentially spend many more days trying to troubleshoot this issue.

There was not an OS disk for Windows 7 included.

Michael Clay
Soldotna STS
Attachments
DELL_OptiPlex_580_packing_slip.jpg
(95.79 KiB) Downloaded 254 times

Return to “Clerk Computers”