Installing dial up modem

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
stephen500

Installing dial up modem

Post by stephen500 »

We currently have a new building in our stake that does not currently have broadband.
The current new Dell computers do not come with a dial up modem installed.
So I have purchased a dial up modem (while we await broadband).
However I have not been able to establish a connection which has been successfull transmitting data.
I have installed the modem.
The on line shows when it should, the data light shows when it should.
I have entered the telephone numbers as required seperated by a semi colon.
I have set the settings as modem and as far as I know have set all the correct setting.
It dials, but then comes up with default message.
1) modem prob
2) telephone prob
3) server prob
The modem I have purchased can be found at
http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-v92-dial-up-modem-221377
I cannot contact MLS admin today as they take the day off on Sat!
Any thoughts where I have gone wrong, If the church telephone server is not down??
Do I select mls as the modem or the modem I have installed.
Thanks in advance.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Did you follow the procedures in the wiki article Troubleshooting MLS transmission problems? It may be that you did not remove or uninstall Digital Line Detect.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
stephen500

Post by stephen500 »

jdlessley wrote:Did you follow the procedures in the wiki article Troubleshooting MLS transmission problems? It may be that you did not remove or uninstall Digital Line Detect.
Thank you for your reply, I will try that. Do I need to reinstall that when broadband is finally installed? And if I do, how do I reinstall it.
Thanks in advance.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Digital Line Detect is not needed for any Church applications. It most definitely is not needed to be reinstalled when broadband becomes available. If you wanted to reinstall it, but it is not needed, use Add or Remove Panel on the Control panel and select Add/Remove Windows Components. You would need the Windows distribution disc to add it back in.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
stephen500

Post by stephen500 »

Many thanks for any answers, however I solved the problem in the end. It was the cable from the modem to the telephone socket. It was either broken or the wrong one. I changed it and it worked.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”