LDS Chat on freenode

When the Church has need of help from the technology community, we will post that need in this forum.
WelchTC

LDS Chat on freenode

Post by WelchTC »

I've created a channel on freenode for those who wish to discuss with others who are online about various projects we are starting up and wish the community to help us with. Here is the information:

Protocol: irc
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #ldstech

This chat group should only be used to discuss projects that the Church is asking the community to help with. You can create other channels for what other topics you wish to chat about. Please keep this channel and all #lds* channels available for projects.
I'll try to be online as much as possible for those who want to ask me questions.

Currently we have the [thread=393]"Ask a Question"[/thread] project that we are needing help with. Also, there is another project that I will be announcing soon that will be fairly big and we will need a lot of help with. If you have questions about how to get connected via IRC to freenode, drop your questions here and I or others experienced with freenode can help you.

Tom
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Any suggestions for a good IRC chat client for windows?
- David
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

thedqs wrote:Any suggestions for a good IRC chat client for windows?
I'm using Pidgin (formerly Gaim) so that I can do AIM, MSN, and GoogleTalk (in addition to IRC).
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Trillian also supports IRC. They have their basic version which is free and their pro version which costs money.

Tom
brado426

Post by brado426 »

I tried Trillian a couple months ago for my IRC needs but had to dump it due to some nasty bugs with PMs. It caused all sorts of confusion by occasionally displaying the incorrect nick when chatting with someone privately. I went back to mIRC. I like to try to consolidate apps, but I usually find that one app rarely does a good job at everything I want to do.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I finally found HydraIRC which is open source since I didn't have time to build my own. (Best way to understand the protocol is to implement something that uses it.) For those interested IRC uses P10 (Protocol 10) if anyone wants to make their own.
- David
jcircus-p40

Post by jcircus-p40 »

mIRC is the most popular irc client. Klient and Hydra are also good ones.

Tom

I setup a web java client, for those that dont have or want to install an irc client.

http://www.gcc-hosting.com/ldstech/irc/

Use it if you want, or if you want the code to host here, that's fine too. (It's free open source)

James
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

jcircus wrote:mIRC is the most popular irc client. Klient and Hydra are also good ones.

Tom

I setup a web java client, for those that dont have or want to install an irc client.

http://www.gcc-hosting.com/ldstech/irc/

Use it if you want, or if you want the code to host here, that's fine too. (It's free open source)

James
I could not get the java app to work correctly. It just said "connecting...". Anything special other than hitting the site to get it to work? Also, what is required for hosting this software?

Tom
jcircus-p40

Post by jcircus-p40 »

Just going to the site should work.... I've seen several "Guests" come and go in #ldstech, so I'm sure it's working.

Code: Select all

[16:08] * Guest250 ([email=n=Guest250@c-24-20-152-229.hsd1.mn.comcast.net]n=Guest250@c-24-20-152-229.hsd1.mn.comcast.net[/email]) has joined #ldstech
[16:09] * Guest250 ([email=n=Guest250@c-24-20-152-229.hsd1.mn.comcast.net]n=Guest250@c-24-20-152-229.hsd1.mn.comcast.net[/email]) Quit (Client Quit)
[16:37] * Guest187 ([email=n=Guest187@ip70-181-70-212.oc.oc.cox.net]n=Guest187@ip70-181-70-212.oc.oc.cox.net[/email]) has joined #ldstech
[16:37] * Guest187 ([email=n=Guest187@ip70-181-70-212.oc.oc.cox.net]n=Guest187@ip70-181-70-212.oc.oc.cox.net[/email]) Quit (Client Quit)

No special requirements for hosting it. Just upload the files to your webserver and edit the settings.

http://www.pjirc.com/about.php

James
MikeHillyer-p40

Post by MikeHillyer-p40 »

Personally I use an application called X-Chat: http://www.xchat.org/

For Windows users they charge a 19.99 registration fee but as the application is Open Source there have been custom builds done by others that can be downloaded for free.

I get my build from http://www.silverex.org/news/

Return to “Development Help Wanted”