I need a source for an article I'm writing

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
danfawson

I need a source for an article I'm writing

Post by danfawson »

I'm currently writing an article about MLS for the ICS intranet site. The article will discuss the transition from MLS Classic to the new MLS web-based version, and highlight the fact that ward leaders are now able to access the site from their homes, rather than travelling to the ward meetinghouse.

I'm looking for someone living outside the state of Utah who has benefited from being able to use MLS on the web. The implementation of MLS Web should be particularly helpful to members living more than 5 minutes away from the meetinghouse (i.e. the majority of members outside Utah), and I'm hoping to include this perspective in the article.

Please let me know if you, or someone you know, fits this criteria and would be willing to answer a few questions.

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

boylen20 wrote:I'm looking for someone living outside the state of Utah who has benefited from being able to use MLS on the web. The implementation of MLS Web ...
Whatever you do, please don't use the term "MLS Web". Unfortunately, that term is used internally within ICS, but it's very confusing to the outside world. MLS is a desktop application; Leader and Clerk Resources is the area on lds.org.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

My stake encompasses a very large geographic area, with some very progressive wards who adopt technology easily, and some units with very minimal skills or even limited access to the internet. Frankly, while there are great benefits to the online tools, my universal feedback from my clerks is, when am i going to be able to change data online? Update information, record ordinances, etc.... i hope your article will provide these answers.

This has helped my Bishops/BP and counselors more than clerks at this point. Also the lack of access for auxilliary leaders puts a damper on this adoption as well. I don't want to be the downer here, and we have really benefitted by it, but really, until we can input home teaching/visiting teaching numbers.... well, my leaders will rarely use it.

Bring on 2.0
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aebrown wrote:Whatever you do, please don't use the term "MLS Web". Unfortunately, that term is used internally within ICS, but it's very confusing to the outside world. MLS is a desktop application; Leader and Clerk Resources is the area on lds.org.
I am in agreement here. Another statement is also disconcerting.
boylen20 wrote:The article will discuss the transition from MLS Classic to the new MLS web-based version ...
The Leader and Clerk Reources provides an alternate means of accessing and interfacing with the data on MLS. MLS is not classic -- yet. It is still the primary source for managing and storing unit information.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

jdlessley wrote:....MLS is not classic -- yet. It is still the primary source for managing and storing unit information.
And another disconcerting thought....
That MLS will become "classic" BEFORE all of it's capabilities are realized on the web through LDS.org! I live in fear that I'll lose much of the power we have with MLS once support is removed as a local app on our clerk's desktop. As JD mentioned, MLS is still a primary source for us. For wards that have customized it extensively, using it's customizable database features and custom reports for combining our local information with the church's information.....we track sacrament speakers ( for 8 years running!) it even generates our fast offering routes...I can't imagine losing all our hard work over the years!
lehrschallbrian

Re: I need a source for an article I'm writing

Post by lehrschallbrian »

Can you tell me how it generates your fast offering routes?

Return to “General Discussions”