Auto Dialing at 3:00 AM

Discussions around standard phones and phone service in meetinghouses and what the future of meetinghouse telephones should hold
techgy
Community Moderators

Auto Dialing at 3:00 AM

Post by techgy »

In order to provide some information to our local FM group I was reviewing a copy of one of the phone bills for a building in our stake. The bill is for a DSL line, which also serves as a lobby phone.

On one page of the bill is a list of approximately 28 calls to SLC UTAH (801) 239-3564
Each call is for a minute or less and only occurs once per day. The real surprise is that these calls are occuring around 3:00 AM!! With the short duration of the call, I'm suspecting that something is automatically dialing, but I haven't a clue as to what it might be.

There's no other equipment tied to this line that would perform a auto-dial as far I know and I'm pretty sure that no-one is in the building at this hour.

The DSL is left on 24x7. Has anyone else seen this? Is the number familiar to anyone? I tried calling it and had my call answered and whatever I said was echoed back. No-one responded. Aside from calling the phone company in SLC to determine who this number belongs to I was wondering anyone else has seen this?
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

techgy wrote:The bill is for a DSL line, which also serves as a lobby phone.

That's interesting, I thought that the DSL line was to be "dry" - no phone service.

I agree that it sounds automated. Burglar alarm?

You may want to talk to the FM group as it sounds like something they'd be doing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:That's interesting, I thought that the DSL line was to be "dry" - no phone service.

I agree that it sounds automated. Burglar alarm?

You may want to talk to the FM group as it sounds like something they'd be doing.

There is no alarm in the building that dials outside. It's an internal alarm only. The FM group is a possibility, but I doubt it.
The DSL lines in each of our buildings was installed a few years ago and to save the cost of an additional line, we use a lobby phone and added the DSL filters. It's been working just grand.

The fact that the calls are made to a SLC number leads me to believe that it has something to do with the Church.
I'm considering calling the GSD and asking them.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

techgy wrote:The DSL lines in each of our buildings was installed a few years ago and to save the cost of an additional line, we use a lobby phone and added the DSL filters. It's been working just grand.

I'll just point you to Bundling services and leave it at that. Not sure why it was written that way since it does save money.

Call me paranoid, but are any of the computers being left on and have a modem connection to that line?

Depending on the building, you could start following wires.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:I'll just point you to Bundling services and leave it at that. Not sure why it was written that way since it does save money.

Call me paranoid, but are any of the computers being left on and have a modem connection to that line?

Depending on the building, you could start following wires.
The DSL has been around for a few years. I don't know why it went that way aside from wanting to save $$ by using an existing line. In any event, it will soon be a dead issue. The FM group is having buildings in our stake hard-wired with CAT6 cable and installing a cable internet service. So these DSL lines will soon be gone.

As for the computers being left on - I'll check this Thursday when I'm there. A fax machine would do this, but we don't have any fax equipment that's tied to this particular line. I guess I'll be doing some running around this Thursday. A search of the Internet for that particular number tells me that it's located near the center of SLC. So I'm still suspicious about CHQ.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

techgy wrote:There is no alarm in the building that dials outside. It's an internal alarm only.

I'm wondering if that's completely true. They may not follow up on every little thing that might be a false alarm like a normal monitoring service, but you'd have to follow the wires to prove there is none.

Return to “Phones”