Printing Directory with Photos "The PDF is being generated. This may take a minute."

Discussions about the Directory Tool on lds.org. Questions about the Directory on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
nabosh
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:15 pm

Different Browsers, Same Issue

#21

Post by nabosh »

I am am trying to print the ward directory of a YSA ward with somewhere around 100 photos. I have had two or three times where this has worked, but mostly it just gives me a very consistent proxy error. When I go to Save it never works and just keeps going until I stop it, but I just tried Open with these results:

OS:
10.7.1

Browsers:
Firefox 3.5.13
- Proxy Error -- Error reading from remote server (121 seconds)

Firefox 6.0.2
- Proxy Error -- Error reading from remote server (121 seconds)

Safari 5.1
- Proxy Error ... Error reading from remote server (121 seconds)

I have tried this on Windows with similar results. I do not know what it is like for other wards, but within our ward, if the print function doesn't work then the new LDS.org system becomes much less valuable, to the point where I will have to create some new solution.

Hopefully this can be resolved soon.
nabosh
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:15 pm

#22

Post by nabosh »

Also, for jdcr256:

I have no broken photos in my directory

Also, for people who it works for, can you give more information? OS/browser/etc.
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 32232
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

#23

Post by russellhltn »

nabosh wrote:Also, for people who it works for, can you give more information? OS/browser/etc.
And number of photos in the directory...
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sully
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:25 pm

#24

Post by sully »

RussellHltn wrote:And number of photos in the directory...

It works for me... sometimes... like I said earlier. I am running Windows 7 (Using Chrome and IE) I've also used the Windows XP at the church building (using IE, Chrome, Firefox). And our bishop's computer running Mac OS X (Safari). I would same 70% of the time it works fine. But other times I'll get the error I mentioned in my earlier post. And I would guess we have around 120-140 photos in the directory. When it does work it loads fairly quick, in two or three minutes.
jssmith88
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:31 pm

Same problem here

#25

Post by jssmith88 »

I had this same problem almost every time 3 months ago; I would just keep trying and eventually it would work. As of a month ago, it was working fine almost every time. However, I have been unable to generate one at all after numerous attempts the last couple days. I have tried Firefox and chrome, on Linux and Mac and Windows systems. Sometimes the icon spins for minutes and never stops, other times I get the proxy server get error.
We have about 180 pictures. I don't see any broken picture links; there is either a picture of place holder for each person.
If I don't try to print pictures, it works fine and quickly.
I wonder, would there be a way to download all the information and render the pdf on one's own computer? Its really not that much information.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:53 pm
Location: Riverton, Utah

#26

Post by jdcr256 »

For the immediate future I recommend trying this during non-peak times. That means during the middle of the day, or the middle of the night, for the Mountain timezone. Saturdays and Sundays are the heaviest peak times, and mornings and evenings during the week can be busy as well.

Rest assured we are continuing to work on this problem and are working on multiple solutions to handle the large load of photo traffic we are seeing.

Thanks for providing such detailed feedback to help us as we trouble shoot. It would be helpful as you continue to report .pdf failures, if you include the date, time and timezone.
sully
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:25 pm

#27

Post by sully »

jdcr256 wrote:For the immediate future I recommend trying this during non-peak times. That means during the middle of the day, or the middle of the night, for the Mountain timezone. Saturdays and Sundays are the heaviest peak times, and mornings and evenings during the week can be busy as well.

Rest assured we are continuing to work on this problem and are working on multiple solutions to handle the large load of photo traffic we are seeing.

Thanks for providing such detailed feedback to help us as we trouble shoot. It would be helpful as you continue to report .pdf failures, if you include the date, time and timezone.

I've been trying the last few hours and it hasn't been working. I would say it's definitely during non-peak times. (It's currently 11:43 pm MST)

I have tried about 5 times within the last two or three hours and keep getting the same error:


Proxy Error

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
The proxy server could not handle the request GET /directory/services/ludrs/print/279595/ward/.

Reason: Error reading from remote server

Apache/2.2.3 (Linux/SUSE) Server at lds.org Port 80
sully
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:25 pm

#28

Post by sully »

What makes things even more interesting... If I try to print a directory without the pictures it works without any issues. But when I try to print with pictures it spins for 2 or 3 minutes then I get the error. From what I can see I'm unable to find any picture with broken links. They all look valid to me.
nabosh
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:15 pm

#29

Post by nabosh »

About 150.
sbstanger
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:16 am

#30

Post by sbstanger »

sully wrote:What makes things even more interesting... If I try to print a directory without the pictures it works without any issues. But when I try to print with pictures it spins for 2 or 3 minutes then I get the error. From what I can see I'm unable to find any picture with broken links. They all look valid to me.


I found the same conclusion, w/o pictures works fine. With pictures however causes the error so it is possible the error lies within the pictures

Edit: yes, did it with 2 different computers with both I-Explorer and Firefox. Trying to load the pictures caused the 502 error.
Post Reply

Return to “Directory”