Adding a new phone line

Discussions around standard phones and phone service in meetinghouses and what the future of meetinghouse telephones should hold
caj36

Adding a new phone line

Post by caj36 »

My Stake is splitting Wards to create a new unit. Our High Counselor in charge of facilities has been able to get all of the needed furniture, computers, etc, with the exception of ordering the new phone line. This is a new phone line for a meetinghouse that already houses other Wards. He told me that the Stake Clerk is in charge of doing this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

caj36 wrote:My Stake is splitting Wards to create a new unit. Our High Counselor in charge of facilities has been able to get all of the needed furniture, computers, etc, with the exception of ordering the new phone line. This is a new phone line for a meetinghouse that already houses other Wards. He told me that the Stake Clerk is in charge of doing this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
The FM group is in charge of phone lines. I'm not sure why your Physical Facilities Representative (the high councilor assigned to work with the FM group) would think the stake clerk would be in charge of that.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:The FM group is in charge of phone lines.
You would think so. But unless something has changed recently, our FM group has insisted for years that the stake is responsible for phone lines. So when we need a voice phone line, we call the phone company and have it installed.

In fact, we were delayed getting an occupancy permit for a recent addition to one of our meetinghouses because they would not order the lines for the alarm system. We did not get in until the stake placed the order and had the lines (primary and backup) installed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I suspect it's a billing issue. Since it's the stake that gets the initial phone bill from the phone company, that may be who needs to order it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:You would think so. But unless something has changed recently, our FM group has insisted for years that the stake is responsible for phone lines. So when we need a voice phone line, we call the phone company and have it installed.

My mistake. This is a regional difference. My answer was correct for Utah and any other areas where billing is handled by CHQ, but not where phone bills go to the stake. Sorry about any confusion....
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Phones”