Calendar sync for LDS Tools

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
lonniereeder

Calendar sync for LDS Tools

Post by lonniereeder »

I have searched the Wiki and other parts of LDSTech... I am curious to know if there is an ETA on the stake and ward calendar sync for the Android version? Thanks for any link or direction you can provide.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If they fix the Google sync for the new calendar, I'm not sure as it would be needed.

The old calendar is scheduled to die at the end of this year. I doubt if they'd put any development effort in that direction.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
csdanson

Post by csdanson »

I think that if you have an andriod phone that you will have a calendar app. This syncs with your Google Calendar and that can be synced up to the ward calendar.

I wouldn't think that we should try to add a sync calendar to LDS Tools for Android if it is just a duplicate product.

If you need a work around for Google Calendar and the Calendar, here is a link to a forum discussing that: https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.p ... c-problems

Hope that helps.
Never give up, never surrender!
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

cdanson wrote:I think that if you have an andriod phone that you will have a calendar app. This syncs with your Google Calendar and that can be synced up to the ward calendar.

I wouldn't think that we should try to add a sync calendar to LDS Tools for Android if it is just a duplicate product.

Calendar display and sync is part of the basic functional specification for LDS Tools, and I think it really should be implemented on the Android version. Last I heard, such development was on the Android app's roadmap.

Personally, I prefer keeping all the church-related calendar items within such a dedicated app as a reference, with functionality to select any particular item and copy it to my Google calendar.
amajeske

calendar in Android tools apps

Post by amajeske »

I agree. I am a building scheduler and I don't necessarily want all of the calendars to be on my google calendar on my Android phone, but I would love to have the events in my LDS tools, so I can have the information available when asked about events.
terrellthomas

Post by terrellthomas »

I think calendar should be added to LDS Tools. I really like the way it is was working on app called Stake & Ward Central. In fact that application is (was) light years ahead of LDS Tools. It is to bad that application will not sync with lds.org anymore. I would rather pay for that application than use LDS Tools the way it is today. You can look up a member and see their calling by member. This was or is very useful when discussing calling in Stake Presidency meetings same with calendaring.
mmkids6

Post by mmkids6 »

Because the calendar is not on LDS Tools for the andriod, I currently use the Stake Central or Ward Central Apps to bring this in, because I do not use google calendars. I realize that they are not church sponsored, but they are better than nothing at all. Do we have a time frame when the calendar will be added for andriods.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You can sync the church calendar to your Google calendar which updates your Android.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
unit5

Post by unit5 »

RussellHltn wrote:You can sync the church calendar to your Google calendar which updates your Android.

When you one-way sync the LDS calendar to google it all comes in as one calendar. It's all one color and defeats the whole multi-calendar purpose that was intended for the new LDS Calendar. One of the nicest things about being able to use LDS Tools on other platforms or Ward/Stake Central on the Android platform is the ability to see calendars in different colors and to select which calendars you want to view at that moment. If there is a lot going on in a day (which can happen very often) it is extremely nice to look for the "Green Dots" which are my appointments. It is easy to miss things like that when everything is the same color.
sjmoody

Any Updates?

Post by sjmoody »

Just curious as to what the status is on possibly including Calendar functionality in the Android version of LDS Tools. Does anyone know?

I am currently syncing through Google, but this has several problems. There is the issue of colors, mentioned about already. But also, I live in a time zone without daylight savings time. All of the events during DST show up an hour late. This appears to be a Google sync problem, and many people are complaining on the Google forums, but Google does not appear to be in a hurry to solve that problem. That is, perhaps, the biggest issue for me right now. I would love to get the Calendar functionality on my Android directly through LDS Tools and skip the Google sync altogether. Also, with the Google sync I cannot schedule an event with my phone. Since there is no internet in our church offices, it would be extremely helpful if I could schedule through my phone so that I could handle scheduling issues during Ward Council and Bishopric meetings, instead of writing everything down and waiting until I get home to have to do everything.

Thanks!

Return to “Android Member Tools App”