Temple Recommends & Church Discipline

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
DavidJTCampbell

Temple Recommends & Church Discipline

Post by DavidJTCampbell »

Hello,

On the listing of current temple recommends there are several recommends that have not expired but have been taken away by the Bishop for disciplinary reasons. Does anyone know if there is a way to mark this in MLS so that these recommends do not appear in the lists of members with current recommends?

Thanks!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

davidjtcampbell wrote:Hello,

On the listing of current temple recommends there are several recommends that have not expired but have been taken away by the Bishop for disciplinary reasons. Does anyone know if there is a way to mark this in MLS so that these recommends do not appear in the lists of members with current recommends?

There is not. If the bishop is holding the recommend temporarily, it is still a valid and current recommend, even though the member does not have it and cannot use it.

If the bishop has taken the recommend and does not intend to return it, he should advise the stake president, who can see that the recommend is canceled. Once that action is taken, the member should no longer be listed in MLS as having a currently valid recommend.

But if the bishop is just temporarily holding the recommend, its status has not changed.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

There is a problem with the current setup in my opinion. Let's say I or the stake president withdraw someone's recommend on a permanent basis, pending significant discipline. The recommend get's cancelled on MLS - but the ward then gets a notification of change of status of the recommend.

That means that the ward clerk, or my counsellors will immediately see that change - and be able to infer the reason for it (ie. significant discipline). I'd rather not have the notification until the disciplinary council has been completed, to maintain confidentiality as much as possible.
DavidJTCampbell

Thank you

Post by DavidJTCampbell »

Thanks lajackson for your response
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:If the bishop is holding the recommend temporarily, it is still a valid and current recommend, even though the member does not have it and cannot use it.

Question: What is the procedure if a member shows up without a recommend? I know they've acted in situations where it hasn't been activated yet. If they had the ability to do a lookup, the computer system would indicate that they have a valid recommend.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

RussellHltn wrote:Question: What is the procedure if a member shows up without a recommend? I know they've acted in situations where it hasn't been activated yet. If they had the ability to do a lookup, the computer system would indicate that they have a valid recommend.

They phone me to check if they're okay. So I presume that's fairly standard practice?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Question: What is the procedure if a member shows up without a recommend? I know they've acted in situations where it hasn't been activated yet. If they had the ability to do a lookup, the computer system would indicate that they have a valid recommend.
The temple always calls the bishop or stake president to get authorization; the temple would never simply do a lookup and let the person in. This does mean that it's important that the stake president is in the loop and aware that the bishop has taken a particular member's recommend, but in cases of pending discipline that would generally be the case anyway.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”