Calendar No Longer Works on Android Browser

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

I tried this on my wife's Droid 2 which is stock Gingerbread 2.3.3. She gets a blue screen with no calendar using the stock browser. My phone, which works, is a Droid 2 using a CM7 ROM. Maybe that is why it works on some (jdcr256 and his FreshEVO ROM and my CM7 phone & tablet) and not on the others who are stock. Just odd that it seems to be multiple HW vendors too. Regardless, I hope we can figure out what is going on.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

If anyone knows any debugging methods for their Android browsers, it would be interesting to see if any of the service calls are failing. That would at least let start pointing us in the right direction.
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

Calendar works with Opera on the Photon 4G. Recall that I had a blue screen with Dolphin HD and the stock browser. And I get a warning about an unsupported browser whenever I "do" anything on the calendar. (OK dismisses)
josephcreed

Post by josephcreed »

jdcr256 wrote:If anyone knows any debugging methods for their Android browsers, it would be interesting to see if any of the service calls are failing. That would at least let start pointing us in the right direction.

I was going to capture the network packets with Wireshark using the wired side of my AP, to see if there are any errors on the page or any clues, but since the page is using SSL I won't be able to decrypt it. If I could be provided a link to my calendar or a generic calendar that does not use https, I should be able to see something.
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

jdcr256 wrote:If anyone knows any debugging methods for their Android browsers, it would be interesting to see if any of the service calls are failing. That would at least let start pointing us in the right direction.
Not really an android developer...but I think you can do it via the ADK.

http://developer.android.com/guide/weba ... gging.html

Logcat

Logcat is a tool that dumps a log of system messages. The messages include a stack trace when the device throws an error, as well as log messages written from your application and those written using JavaScript console APIs.

To run logcat and view messages, execute adb logcat from your Android SDK tools/ directory, or, from DDMS, select Device > Run logcat. When using the ADT plugin for Eclipse, you can also view logcat messages by opening the Logcat view, available from Window > Show View > Other > Android > Logcat.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It appears the key is to enter "about:debug" in the browser's URL. Then, when you go into settings, you have additional options.

After doing so, and going to the site, I was presented with a javascript console:
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
josephcreed

Post by josephcreed »

Good find RussellHltn.

That is the same error I receive in my browser.
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

I logged onto lds.org with my HTC Droid Incredible from Verizon Wireless on my home WiFi and I can see the Directory just fine but can not see the Calendar. I also get a pretty blue screen. Although blue is my favorite color, I'd rather see the Calendar! I don't know what default browser my Droid uses, I just clicked on Internet and it used whatever it has I guess. I don't usually look at many webpages on my phone. I do use LDS Tools and Gospel Library and other apps on it though.

I logged onto lds.org with my Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1 from Verizon Wireless on my home WiFi and I could see both the Directory and the Calendar. I have a choice of browsers and I chose Firefox and it worked just fine.

Margie Stroble
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

margiestroble wrote: I logged onto lds.org with my Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1 from Verizon Wireless on my home WiFi and I could see both the Directory and the Calendar. I have a choice of browsers and I chose Firefox and it worked just fine.

Margie Stroble
I should of included that my Tablet is also an Android! I take it to church with me now instead of my scriptures and RS Book, it's much lighter weight and easier for me to see on the Tablet. A lot of other members are using their phones and tablets as well. I LOVE modern technology ... especially when it works correctly! LOL

Happy Sunday!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I wanted to ping the developers on this issue. Some technical feedback was given in post #35 as to what might be causing the issue, but I see no indication that the information was received, or any other steps that we could take to pinpoint the problem. The problem is affecting a large number of devices, including the Nook Color and Nook Tablet.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”