Sophos Update Failed

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
craiggsmith

Sophos Update Failed

Post by craiggsmith »

I'm getting "Could not contact server" errors with the Sophos AV update and the virus definitions are out of date. A search of previous threads reveals that this has happened a few times and it's been server issues. Anyone else having this problem? I haven't checked any other computers. I can ping the server fine.

I called support but they couldn't tell me what the problem was so I asked them to log an issue.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

For a period of time today there were Church server issues and the Sophos update was a victim. By the time I left the meetinghouse early in the afternoon CST there was no resolution.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

I just ran the Sophos update on our stake computer and it worked fine -- I saw that it did download and install some updates, so whatever the server problem may have been seems to be fixed now.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

On the FHC side of things, no problems here as all ours at the FHC updated right after we turned them on tonight.

Sometimes it will fail for no apparent reason, not even a server glitch. If it happens and you want to force it, look for the blue brick 'U' in the system tray. Right click on that, a menu will pop up, click 'Update Now', and that will also force an update through.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

JamesAnderson wrote:Sometimes it will fail for no apparent reason, not even a server glitch. If it happens and you want to force it, look for the blue brick 'U' in the system tray. Right click on that, a menu will pop up, click 'Update Now', and that will also force an update through.
That is the first thing to try. Unfortunately that did not work today when there were server issues. I did three manual updates over a two hour period.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks everyone. That's great if it's fixed now, I'll check again later or tomorrow. It would be nice if support were aware of these issues; I actually called them this afternoon and this evening and they had no idea.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Tried again tonight with the same error, two different computers. Looks like it's down again. Ugh. I wouldn't worry as much but one of the computers is brand new so the virus definitions are either really old or nonexistent, and I want to make sure they are updated before anyone starts using it.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

FWIW Sophos update ran itself this morning when turned on the machine without any errors.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

We took a computer from dialup to DSL Saturday evening and were able to update Sophos with no problem.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Yeah, I was able to update yesterday morning as well.
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Clerk Computers”