Sealings report

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
eldiente

Sealings report

Post by eldiente »

Does anyone have an idea how to generate a MLS report listing those couples who have been sealed within the past year? MLS appears to track marriage date but not sealing date. Many times they are the same, but for converts and others who are sealed some time after marriage, the sealing date isn't tracked.
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

MLS does indeed report sealing dates; you will need to run a custom report selecting the sealing date from the list of filters.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

MLS does track sealing date. It is provided at the "Current Spouse" tab in the individual's record. The sealing temple is also listed. But as you noted the sealing date is not available for group lists. As a minimum, the MLS user must have view membership rights to access this information.

You could use the custom report to get a list of those members who are converts, are married, and sealed or not sealed depending on what you want to track using the "member status" criterion. To get a list of converts within the last year you could use the confirmation date criterion. Each time you wanted to run the report you would have to edit the custom report to change the "Confirmation date > is after" criterion.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:Each time you wanted to run the report you would have to edit the custom report to change the "Confirmation date > is after" criterion.

You can avoid having to change the report every time by using the "Confirmation date -- was in last -- 1 -- years" criterion.

Note that the Sealing Date is not available as a selection criterion on the report, but it can be included in the output fields. Then you can do further analysis and filtering by exporting the report to a spreadsheet.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
eldiente

Post by eldiente »

mlh78 wrote:MLS does indeed report sealing dates; you will need to run a custom report selecting the sealing date from the list of filters.
Sealing date isn't one of the filters to search on. Marriage date and marriage status are, but sealing date isn't (even though it does appear on membership record).
eldiente

Post by eldiente »

jdlessley wrote:MLS does track sealing date. It is provided at the "Current Spouse" tab in the individual's record. The sealing temple is also listed. But as you noted the sealing date is not available for group lists. As a minimum, the MLS user must have view membership rights to access this information.

You could use the custom report to get a list of those members who are converts, are married, and sealed or not sealed depending on what you want to track using the "member status" criterion. To get a list of converts within the last year you could use the confirmation date criterion. Each time you wanted to run the report you would have to edit the custom report to change the "Confirmation date > is after" criterion.

The specific criteria I am looking for is those who have been sealed within the past year, regardless of when they were confirmed. This could include converts, those sealed years after marriages, second marriage that are sealed, etc.... The only searchable marriage criteria is sealed to spouse or not, but the date available for searching is the marriage date not sealing date.

A cumbersome workaround would be to look at the list of activated temple recommends for a years period and then recall from memory those whose recommends were activated for a living temple ordinance, but I can't find a way to search using sealing date as a criteria.... thanks all
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

eldiente wrote:Sealing date isn't one of the filters to search on. Marriage date and marriage status are, but sealing date isn't (even though it does appear on membership record).
My apologies - you are correct. I never use custom reports, as I find it much easier to work with an export file in Excel. If you have exported your MLS data to Excel, it would take about 20 seconds to produce the list.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eldiente wrote:A cumbersome workaround would be to look at the list of activated temple recommends for a years period and then recall from memory those whose recommends were activated for a living temple ordinance, but I can't find a way to search using sealing date as a criteria.... thanks all

That's one way. However it will miss any that just moved into the ward.

Another way would be to print a list of members who are sealed and look at the date on the report to see which ones were in the past year. That's what I'd do.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eldiente

Post by eldiente »

mlh78 wrote:My apologies - you are correct. I never use custom reports, as I find it much easier to work with an export file in Excel. If you have exported your MLS data to Excel, it would take about 20 seconds to produce the list.
Bravo - never thought of exporting. Thanks
eldiente

Post by eldiente »

RussellHltn wrote:That's one way. However it will miss any that just moved into the ward.

Another way would be to print a list of members who are sealed and look at the date on the report to see which ones were in the past year. That's what I'd do.
Excellent - that is perfect. Thanks so much!

Now the challenge is to determine if any couples were sealed earlier in the year but have moved out of the stake, thus no longer appearing on this list.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”