Swap out of ASA5505?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
lrawlins

Swap out of ASA5505?

Post by lrawlins »

Hi,

In a response to a dialog on internet filtering not working in one building my FM Rep mentioned that all ASA5505's would be replaced with the 881W.

I thought that the 881W would be replacement for defective ASA5505 but was not aware of a program to change all at once.

Has anyone else know anything of this change.

Hopefully they will let me know when as the cabinet key to one unit lives in my pocket, and that will not make them happy.

Bye for now,
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

FM does not maintain consistency from one group/area to another, there is no telling whether this is a directive from above, or a desire from the grass roots (even if it is a directive from above, it is still not implemented consistently in FM).

The wiki for Meetinghouse Internet does not support this thought. If internet filtering is not working, you should call the Global Service Desk and have it addressed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lrawlins wrote:In a response to a dialog on internet filtering not working in one building my FM Rep mentioned that all ASA5505's would be replaced with the 881W.

Last I knew, the ASA 5505 allowed filtering to be set at different levels. I don't believe there is any filtering options available to the local leadership for the 881W. It is filtered, but there are no options.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lrawlins wrote:my FM Rep mentioned that all ASA5505's would be replaced with the 881W. . . .
Has anyone else know anything of this change.
Yes. Our FM group has said that they have instructions to replace all older units with 881W in an orderly manner over the next year or two.

And since you have the key, you will know when they do it. [grin]
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

lajackson wrote:Yes. Our FM group has said that they have instructions to replace all older units with 881W in an orderly manner over the next year or two.
All of the ASA's and WAP's in our stake were unexpectedly replaced last month with the new gear. I was wondering how they were going to implement the LDS Account login with all the older equipment out there (like they originally said would happen). It's not trivial to set something like that up.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

lajackson wrote:Yes. Our FM group has said that they have instructions to replace all older units with 881W in an orderly manner over the next year or two.

And since you have the key, you will know when they do it. [grin]
Is there a directive or a memo that has been sent to the FM group to swap out ASA 5505. I have recently put two in my stake.

If there is a memo, I would love to see it so that when I contact my FM group about this, that I can speak intelligent on it.

Thanks
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

harddrive wrote:Is there a directive or a memo that has been sent to the FM group to swap out ASA 5505. I have recently put two in my stake.

I have not heard of any such memo. Although it's possible that there is some unpublicized Church-wide policy, we should also all remember that there are different Directors of Temporal Affairs over different areas of the Church, and they may not all have the same policies or budgets. And then within a DTA's jurisdiction, different FM groups may also have different policies and budgets. So at this point I'm treating these various reports on firewall upgrades as interesting anecdotes that don't apply to me. I'll hear from my FM group soon enough if it does apply.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

aebrown wrote:I have not heard of any such memo. Although it's possible that there is some unpublicized Church-wide policy, we should also all remember that there are different Directors of Temporal Affairs over different areas of the Church, and they may not all have the same policies or budgets. And then within a DTA's jurisdiction, different FM groups may also have different policies and budgets. So at this point I'm treating these various reports on firewall upgrades as interesting anecdotes that don't apply to me. I'll hear from my FM group soon enough if it does apply.

I hear you. I will just have to wait and hopefully not spend a lot of money on something that will be upgraded in a few days.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

harddrive wrote:I hear you. I will just have to wait and hopefully not spend a lot of money on something that will be upgraded in a few days.

I hope you are not spending any money. FM group should be doing all of this. And our FM group cannot order anything except the 881W through whatever ordering system they use.

They do not share their memos with me, so I only know what they told me. I do not know the source of their direction. I do know that it was mentioned in one of the training broadcasts (webinars) not too long ago that only 881Ws are going in, but there was no mention in the webinar (that I recall) about replacing existing equipment. That came from a discussion with our local FM group about a different matter.

As a matter of budget limitation, our buildings are getting an 881W but no additional APs. Those are in next year's FM budget.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

lajackson wrote:I hope you are not spending any money. FM group should be doing all of this. And our FM group cannot order anything except the 881W through whatever ordering system they use.

They do not share their memos with me, so I only know what they told me. I do not know the source of their direction. I do know that it was mentioned in one of the training broadcasts (webinars) not too long ago that only 881Ws are going in, but there was no mention in the webinar (that I recall) about replacing existing equipment. That came from a discussion with our local FM group about a different matter.

As a matter of budget limitation, our buildings are getting an 881W but no additional APs. Those are in next year's FM budget.
No, I am not spending my money. I just don't like to purchase something that we won't need. I will need to contact our FM group about this.

Thanks for the information.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”