Problems caused for MLS and FH gaining access to wifi as all ip addressess taken up

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
stephen500

Problems caused for MLS and FH gaining access to wifi as all ip addressess taken up

Post by stephen500 »

Currently in our stake, Chester England Stake, most of our units have the cisco 501 pix firewall. Which releases 30 ip addressess on an hourly lease.
As more and more members bring their blackberrys and I-pads or laptops to church, the ip addressess are being swallowed up instantly on a Sunday.
This has resulted in the MLS computer not being able to gain network access due to no available ip address.
I work around this in my own unit, by hardwiring the MLS computer then disabling wireless and making sure the MLS computer has a connection before turning wireless on again.
I have had several Bishop's reporting this problem.
I am hoping that the new broadband roll out, in the UK (Britain) with new Cisco firewalls will solve the problem.
If that does not work, I would have to recomend to the Stake Pres to allow me to ask Global services to change the password for wireless.
My Stake President does not want to do this, as he wants members to have this facility.
Will the new Cisco firewall solve the problem? Or is the only way to change the password?
The good new is that in one unit where there is new broadband and a new cisco firewall, there does not seem to be a problem. Any thoughts.
Stephen Sinclair, butt stake clerk, STS. Chester England Stake.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

stephen500 wrote:Will the new Cisco firewall solve the problem?

From what I've seen, they may have more IPs, but not so many as to eliminate the problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
quintonrhq

Post by quintonrhq »

This is a cute little trick that the GSD helped me with. Our firewall address 10.xxx.yyy.zzz has this logical breakout. Z =1 is the router and there is a small range from 2 thru 9 (example) that is for static devices such as networked printers with the range 10 and up being in the DHCP pool. The GSD can move the fence so you could manually assign your fixed PC's and be sure to have your slice of the pie.
We use our own WAP's with 192.168.yyy.xxx to get a handle on the wireless address problem.
dlhoward

Post by dlhoward »

First you should upgrade to the new 881W. By default the 881 will give you more address.

from the wiki (http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Answers_about_ ... e_Internet)
How many static and dynamic IP addresses are available for use with the meetinghouse firewall?
The default setup of the 881W includes 9 static addresses and 52 dynamic addresses. The available static addresses are the next 9 addresses after the gateway/firewall address. 52 addresses are available immediately after that through DHCP. If you need more addresses for any meetinghouse firewall, contact the connectivity team at the Global Service Center. With the older meetinghouse firewalls (PIX and ASA), the number of current addresses varies from location to location. You may contact the connectivity team at the Global Service Center if you need help determining IP addressing for a particular location.

So in addition to your initial allottment with the 881s , you can request more address by calling the GSD. They will add an additional range to your 881. This is an addition to your original address range. So when you tell them how many you need, be aware of that.

P.S. I have statics assigned to all the clerk computers and our printers.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”