Camcorder for webcasting, PVC, and Skype

Discussions about the desktop video conferencing solution provided by the Church

Moderators: MarchantRR, rodhyde

gyoungberg

Camcorder for webcasting, PVC, and Skype

Post by gyoungberg »

Hello all. I don't know if this fits best in this forum or another, but I figure that you'd have the best idea. I need a new camcorder for my stake that we can use with the webcast for stake conference, but also could be hooked up to a computer as a webcam for PVC or Skype. Is there a single camera that can be used in all of these situations?

We'd like to use PVC or Skype to facilitate an interactive stake priesthood leadership meeting with a speaker and large congregation in the stake center, but interacting with a small congregation in a remote location. I'd prefer to use a camcorder with the better optics and ability to zoom in and out rather than a webcam.

If there is interest, I'll post more on my ideas before and our results after the meeting.
ksolsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by ksolsen »

An Osprey card with a Sony EVI-D70 should work fine with both applications - that would be a medium-cost solution offering standard-def resolution (composite video). Another possibility in the near future is a Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro HDMI card with the Sony EVI-HD3V camera - this would deliver HD resolution, but also is quite a bit more costly. This combination actually does work with PVC today, but only with version 3.2 of the Blackmagic drivers. Vidyo is updating their support for the Blackmagic card in their upcoming 2.2 release, which we will be going to mid-2012, so that you'll be able to use current drivers.

Those certainly aren't the only solutions, but a couple that we've tested.
Kurt Olsen - Product Manager at Church HQ for Digital Presentation (Personal Video Conferencing, Meetinghouse Webcast, Conference Rooms, Video Conference Endpoints, Meetinghouse Digital Content)

Return to “Personal Video Conferencing”