1041n and IP addresses

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
harddrive

1041n and IP addresses

Post by harddrive »

Recently my mind began to wonder about something with the 1041n and its IP address. I questioned where they got their IP addresses from. I knew that it was either DHCP or it was static.

So I called the Global Service desk today and asked the question. The person thought that they were static, but come to find out that with the 881W and the 1041n. The 1041n gets its address from DHCP. So the more 1041N you put in the less IP addresses you will have available for users.

So in one of my buildings, I have 3, so the most users that can be on will be 49 and if you have six then you drop to 46.

So just an interesting piece of information for us to remember as we deploy our networks.

Terry
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Well, at least the 881 has the ability to add additional dhcp ranges if the need arises.
dfdavis

Post by dfdavis »

JohnShaw wrote:Well, at least the 881 has the ability to add additional dhcp ranges if the need arises.

Something I have had a hard time figuring out here.....
First of all, I have been all the way down the road from trying to figure out why I have machines being denied access to the building systems..(too many users). Installing new equipment..881W and 1041n's and I now have...I think I was told 52 allowed connections now.
On the surface that sounds great...but....the connection coming into our buildings only have "X" amount of bandwidth. Some of my buildings still are on DSL. It's like cutting the pie into 52 pieces.... but we can always call the GS and have them cut it into 110 pieces if needed. The Family history people are always upset when others are in the building on days the FHC is open for business. It takes a longer time for things to load. At some point, someone has to say enough is enough. People by nature these days are not much into waiting..LOL Just a thought.
Donald F. Davis Jr.
Stake IT
Bloomington Indiana :)
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

It depends on the quality of Internet service you can get from your ISP and your stake president's desires for Internet access.

If you are constantly finding that the bandwidth is being used up you can get your stake president's permission to try the following:
* Turn off the wireless (assuming the FHC and clerks' computers are wired)
* Contact the global service desk and have them change the wireless to limit access to only a few individuals authorized by the stake president with instructions to not give the password out to anybody else
* Have the stake president instruct the FM group to purchase a more expensive Internet plan (or new ISP) for the building. This may take an augment of stake funds for the current year. This would support more users.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

There just are so many circumstances where getting better Internet is just not available. The Standard Church practice when building a meetinghouse is not to bring utilities into the buildings, so later build-outs for other connectivity (other than DSL) like cable, etc.. has been difficult. I engaged Time Warner about 3 years ago to do some build-outs, but the cost was very high. A bit ago on the boards it was mentioned with the new association of FM with Internet, that some national accounts are now setup and one might be Time Warner. I'm working again with FM now to see if we can pull cable into our buildings, something you could try to get better bandwidth. You might also try a 3G type connection. I have one building WAY out in the boonies, but they have a 3G card plugged into a router that functions VERY well.
dfdavis

Post by dfdavis »

rbeede wrote:It depends on the quality of Internet service you can get from your ISP and your stake president's desires for Internet access.

If you are constantly finding that the bandwidth is being used up you can get your stake president's permission to try the following:
* Turn off the wireless (assuming the FHC and clerks' computers are wired)
* Contact the global service desk and have them change the wireless to limit access to only a few individuals authorized by the stake president with instructions to not give the password out to anybody else
* Have the stake president instruct the FM group to purchase a more expensive Internet plan (or new ISP) for the building. This may take an augment of stake funds for the current year. This would support more users.

That is just my point. First of all...I do agree with you 110%. For you and I, these are very good..let me say..excellent solutions to the problem... but these won't work in actual practice, especially in areas, wards and buildings where lots of the membership is of the "new computer age". Ths desire to constantly be connected is a growing problem. If you look around at Sunday AM sacrament meeting, at any time there are 0 to 15 people looking at their electronic devices. I worry about what we are doing to our youth.
Your 3 suggestions:
#1 turn off the wireless. With my buildings all being hard wired in all the major areas, nothing would make me personally more happy. But that is not going to happen.
#2 Limit the password. Unless it is changed on a regular basis that's not going to fly with our members. Lets face it... everyone is going to be able to come up with a reason to our leadership for having internet access. I have even had members tell me "they pay for this" and should be allowed access for things like....checking the weather outside during meeting times????
#3 Get the FM group to spend more money....good luck with that one..LOL

So what "is" the answer here....something that no one seems to be willing to say....the simple word "NO". I personally think it's a problem that has not actually been identified as of yet.
My wife and I are 2009 converts to the church.... some things are hard for us to figure out.
Donald F. Davis Jr.
Stake IT
Bloomington Indiana :)
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

The answer is whatever the stake president is inspired to do for his stake. If excessive users/bandwidth interferes with a clerk's duties or a stake conference broadcast to a chapel then the STS should be told so he can consult with the stake president and FM group on what the stake president would like to do.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

rbeede wrote:The answer is whatever the stake president is inspired to do for his stake. If excessive users/bandwidth interferes with a clerk's duties or a stake conference broadcast to a chapel then the STS should be told so he can consult with the stake president and FM group on what the stake president would like to do.
Exactly. If needed to make a webcast work, I am sure that I could get approval to shutdown the wireless access points in the building during the meeting (I may ask beforehand just in case). If I were to do that, I would add a wireless device with a key that only I and those who need to access the internet for the meeting (ie: speakers, etc) have and run like that.
Would it make those who want to use the internet to check their email unhappy? Yes, but the webcast and the needs of the presenter(s) come first.

Aaron Z
rickk

Post by rickk »

If you are using the LDSAccess system, how do you shut down the wireless for a conference? The 881 acts as an access point as do the 1041n devices. You can unplug the 1041n, but what do you do about the firewall? I ask because we currently have the 881 with some cisco 4410N access points that we are administering. We are having problems with reliability on the wireless connections (I will ask that question in another thread), so we thought we should shut down the wifi on the 881 just to be sure it wasn't causing any problems. We called the GSC and were told that there are only 5 of them in the group and they have a policy that they will not turn off the wifi on the 881. If this is the case, it seems like you can't completely disable wireless during a conference broadcast...
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

Call the GSC and tell them your stake president said his policy was to disable the wireless for conference broadcasts.

You could also just remove the 881W antennas for testing purposes. Use a wifi signal analyzer to get out of range and place the 1041N there for testing.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”