Auto-populate lesson schedules

Beta Lesson Schedules Website feedback
rgisraelsen

Auto-populate lesson schedules

Post by rgisraelsen »

When creating a new class, there should be a way to auto-populate all the lesson schedules. For example, if I create a new Gospel Doctrine class, I should be able to select which week lesson 1 falls on, and then all the following weeks automatically fill in.

Along the same lines, if I insert a new event (Ward Conference, etc.), I should have the option to bump everything down a week. It should still let me just replace lessons as well.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I second the motion. There are still unforseen things that can disrupt the schedule later this year, like a ward boundary change. What if the Brigham City temple dedication replaces all meetings on a Sunday this year? We still don't know when that will happen.
thebundok

Post by thebundok »

I third heartily agree with this suggestion. As a brand new Sunday School president it was tough for me to figure out what manual my teachers should be teaching from, what lesson they "should" be on if a class was started in the middle of the year and so on.

I would like the schedule to be auto-populated with the Church's suggested lesson plan for each class which I (or my teachers) can adjust to fit our personal ward/branch schedule.
dmc5007

Post by dmc5007 »

I would suggest that a 'getting started' wizard maybe a good idea, where you get the choice to auto fill things like General Conference dates, options to add in Stake Conference and the ability to define which class occurs on certain weeks.

This is a great idea and a well implemented start though, thanks for your work.
rickminer

Post by rickminer »

I would also like to see that it can detect that if I change a class from lesson 10 to lesson 9 or vice versa that the rest of the year will follow along.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

rgisraelsen wrote:When creating a new class, there should be a way to auto-populate all the lesson schedules. For example, if I create a new Gospel Doctrine class, I should be able to select which week lesson 1 falls on, and then all the following weeks automatically fill in.

Along the same lines, if I insert a new event (Ward Conference, etc.), I should have the option to bump everything down a week. It should still let me just replace lessons as well.

The auto-creation of the basic classes/lessons will be available when we next update the beta environment.

As far as automatically updating the other lessons when you change one, that is a bit more complicated and won't be a part of the 1.0 release. But we agree that it would be a great feature.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdcr256 wrote:As far as automatically updating the other lessons when you change one, that is a bit more complicated and won't be a part of the 1.0 release. But we agree that it would be a great feature.

The problem is to determine when should work and when to leave things alone. A feature that changes everything based on touching a single lesson could be a source of great frustration.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rgisraelsen

Post by rgisraelsen »

RussellHltn wrote:The problem is to determine when should work and when to leave things alone. A feature that changes everything based on touching a single lesson could be a source of great frustration.

That's true, if it did something like by default it could be problematic. But it should still be an option - so when I don't want anything else to change, I can change just that week. When I want to bump everything down a week, I can do that to.
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

It would be nice to have an option of whether to auto-populate or not. It was a little frustrating to have everything automatically populated when the Scheduler was released (prior to me entering relevant events). Although this may not be a problem for future classes created.
dwsmith2

Post by dwsmith2 »

jdcr256 wrote: As far as automatically updating the other lessons when you change one, that is a bit more complicated and won't be a part of the 1.0 release. But we agree that it would be a great feature.
For example, the Sunday School Gospel Doctrine schedule has all of December blank because general conference and stake conference aren't accounted for. Although the proposed feature isn't available in 1.0, any idea when it will be available?

Return to “Beta Lesson Schedules”