MLS Test data

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

+ 1 on the test unit data... it is also so old that when we look at it for training, etc... all the AP age boys are unordained, all kids are over 9 and upbaptized, etc... it would be great to update the data and include CUBS. Couldn't it be setup without security and we could update the data across the Internet, etc.. that would be great.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JohnShaw wrote:+ 1 on the test unit data... it is also so old that when we look at it for training, etc... all the AP age boys are unordained, all kids are over 9 and upbaptized, etc...

I'm not sure, but the birth dates may be calculated from the creation date. I know the financial side worked that way.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I'm not sure, but the birth dates may be calculated from the creation date. I know the financial side worked that way.
Unfortunately the membership side is not like the financial side for the test data. The birth dates for all the membership records are hard coded. The youngest member of the test ward was born 11 Jun 2003, so no one is under 8 (and except for that one boy, everyone is at least 9). The deacons are all at least 21, etc. So it's out of date and getting worse.

I've been pleading for years for the test data to get updated, but my pleas fall on deaf ears. At one point a Church employee suggested that the test data was about to be removed because they couldn't imagine what the test data was good for anymore. We complained loudly enough that the test data was not removed, but it certainly hasn't been updated. I use it all the time for LDSTech, but also for training within my stake. I can't use live data because I often don't have access to live data in the places where I do the training. When I do one-on-one training with a clerk, I can use that unit's live data for some things, but some things I want to teach are not practical with live data -- I can't just move someone out, or record a marriage, or a divorce, or delete a donor, etc. on live data, yet I have provided training on those features and many more.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
simonawright

Post by simonawright »

Who created the test data in the first place and why was it created?

If it was to provide a means of checking the software for bugs etc pre-release, how do they do it now?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Drat. I suppose if someone wanted to, they could go through the test database and add 8 years to all the birthdays and then save it. Unfortunately, I don't think that would work on the stake side.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

simonawright wrote:Who created the test data in the first place and why was it created?
As long as I have been using MLS (since about 2003), it has contained the test data. It is integrated right in MLS (all you have to do is add a unit with the right magic numbers, and the data is added by MLS itself).

I can only speculate as to why the test data was created, but it seems clear that it was for training purposes -- both so people could do their own learning without affecting live data, and so that clerks can provide training to other clerks, leaders, and secretaries on how to use MLS.
simonawright wrote:If it was to provide a means of checking the software for bugs etc pre-release, how do they do it now?
I don't think it ever had much to do with checking the software for bugs. Currently testing is done first internally by the MLS development team, and then it is released in beta form to selected units for feedback as they test it with their live data before the official release.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
simonawright

Post by simonawright »

I can only speculate as to why the test data was created, but it seems clear that it was for training purposes -- both so people could do their own learning without affecting live data, and so that clerks can provide training to other clerks, leaders, and secretaries on how to use MLS.

If it was for training purposes it is sad that the test data hasn't been maintained as that function is needed as much now as it was when MLS was first introduced. Clerks tend to serve longer than most callings but we still have new men called to serve that need help. The online lessons are good but there is no substitute for having a go yourself and this is best done with test data.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

IMO, I think this would be an ideal task for a community supported project.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Just to add to this old thread: It seems that the install install of MLS is becoming even less useful. Once installed, the organizations are locked. Anyone know of a way to unlock them? This was a install on top of a older version, so I'm no not sure if I could make it work by doing a fresh install.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Just to add to this old thread: It seems that the install install of MLS is becoming even less useful. Once installed, the organizations are locked. Anyone know of a way to unlock them? This was a install on top of a older version, so I'm no not sure if I could make it work by doing a fresh install.

Yes, I noticed the same thing. When I figured that I had just blown away big chunk of the usefulness of my test install, I uninstalled 3.5, reinstalled 3.4.3, and restored a 3.4.3 backup of the test data that I had.

It's sad that we haven't been able to convince anyone in authority that the test data really is useful.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”