Deleting Born Under the Covenant

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
bradweech

Deleting Born Under the Covenant

Post by bradweech »

We have a member in our Stake who is listed as born under the covenant, but he was not. He was baptized when he was 8 yrs old. He was not adopted by his family until he was 16. What is the proper procedure for correcting his membership record.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd suggest a Special Request.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bradweech wrote:We have a member in our Stake who is listed as born under the covenant, but he was not. He was baptized when he was 8 yrs old. He was not adopted by his family until he was 16. What is the proper procedure for correcting his membership record.

Even in this situation, he still could have been born in the covenant. However, if you are certain that his birth mother was not sealed when he was born, Russell has suggested the only way I know of to change the record, using the Special Request function of MLS.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Even in this situation, he still could have been born in the covenant.

Good point. Seems unlikely, but not impossible. But I wouldn't make any assumptions.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:Good point. Seems unlikely, but not impossible. But I wouldn't make any assumptions.

I believe that if the request is sent, it will be researched in the Membership Department before any change to the record is made.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I believe that if the request is sent, it will be researched in the Membership Department before any change to the record is made.

But unless I knew, I'd make a query, and not a request.

gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Assuming the record really is wrong and needs to be changed...

Who has the responsibility to supply the corrected information? What evidence is provided by the member that the record is not correct? What is the member's current age? How long ago did the member notice the error? Did the record change recently or was it always wrong?

I'm speculating that if the member is older than, say, 45, perhaps the information was added before the church's computer systems and input methods were fully standardized. What if all other siblings in this family were born under the covenant but this one wasn't? What if the information was originally added for the whole family all at once and someone overlooked this one sibling's different status?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”