Cisco 881w set up

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
danielcupryna

Cisco 881w set up

Post by danielcupryna »

As some one with some knowlege of networks and wifi nekworking i have two units in my stake that were the last get set up on the broadband BT is the isp in the UK with the Cisco 800 seres wifi firewall
both have the same problem switch not comincating with bt box useing ethernet so not configed at all no firewall or ldsacses wifi luckerly can still conect useing the isp rusters wifi until it sorted anyone in the uk had same problem called GS and the could not see the to ruters at all so could not check setup and when i conected my laptop to the spere ethernet port on cisco router I could not get the internet but could on the wifi

Daniel Cupryna
STS billingham stake
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

When the ISP provides a device that is multifunction all but the modem portion must be deactivated or turned off. It sounds like the modem is a multifunction device with router and WAP capabilities in addition to being a modem. The router functions and wireless functions need to be deactivated so that the device will only function as a modem.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:When the ISP provides a device that is multifunction all but the modem portion must be deactivated or turned off.

You may wish to enquire if you can get a "modem only" type device.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dfdavis

Post by dfdavis »

RussellHltn wrote:You may wish to enquire if you can get a "modem only" type device.

I just ran into this very thing in 2 of my buildings. The existing equipment worked OK with the old firewall but refused to connect with the new 881W period. What I/we finally figured out, the old existing modem (service provider) required a username and password to logon to the ISP. The old firewall device knew what it was and could run a logon script. After all these years.... no one had a clue. If any you have ever tried to figure out who actually provides the internet and phone service in some of our buildings you will understand this can be almost a brick wall.
Huge problem #2 the old modem had a wap built in and was allowing open connections before the firewall. At one point, I recieved a call from that buildings Bishop that a fellow was picked up standing behind our building with a laptop... I'll quit there! Best I could do was remove the antenna to limit the coverage area.
What actually solved the problem... my FM group, upon being notified of the fellow in the alley thing.... switched service providers and went to broadband with NO Wifi built in at the head end.
I honestly think the GS people might be able to get the job done if....you actually know the existing login info and you get lucky enough to get the right person on the other end when you call. This one is not going to be on any flow-chart.
Donald F. Davis Jr.
Stake IT
Bloomington Indiana :)
pete.arnett

New Cisco 881W Setup and Configuration

Post by pete.arnett »

Just did a firewall installation today, Wednesday a.m., 30May2012, and headquarters has upgraded theCisco881W setup and configuration (e.g., the network download and upload speeds are nowselectablevalues)

IP Address:
You now get 128IPaddress, (the old setup was 64 address),
and the static range was increased

Subnet and Gateway:
Subnet: 10.175.nnn.128 (Static .130 to .147) (DHCP .148 to .255, with a one hour lease)
Default Gateway: 10.175.nnn.129
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.128
Thanks,
:cool:Your Fellow Member,
Pete Arnett
Sunny South Florida, USA

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”