MLS Backup time

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jeromer7 wrote:You must have noticed that along with IROPS, the UFS and CFS are no longer able to be removed. I have copies in my stake MLS back to November 2011 that do not have a "remove" option associated with the entry.
Since when? I deleted both a UFS and CFS just a couple of weeks ago.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jeromer7

Post by jeromer7 »

I don't remember when I first noticed the "remove" option not showing up. I just know that last Thursday when I printed the June reports, I took the time to look to see how far back I had reports I couldn't remove. As noted in my post above, I have each UFS and CFS from Nov '11 through Jun '12.

I haven't bothered talking to LUS as I figured this was something that everyone was seeing. I guess not!
JLR
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jeromer7 wrote:I don't remember when I first noticed the "remove" option not showing up. I just know that last Thursday when I printed the June reports, I took the time to look to see how far back I had reports I couldn't remove. As noted in my post above, I have each UFS and CFS from Nov '11 through Jun '12.

I haven't bothered talking to LUS as I figured this was something that everyone was seeing. I guess not!
Well, I just looked and you're right -- all the UFS and CFS statements are in my list of financial statements, and none of them can be deleted. What's more, I am 100% certain that I deleted them, so they were sent down again.

Those stake MLS backups take so long that I have been trying to do everything I can to make them smaller, and now it looks like my efforts to at least keep the list of financial statements as small as possible have been thwarted. Oh, well.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
CSnelson

Post by CSnelson »

Is there something that I could fix in our MLS because our backups takes forever and our backup file is around 54 MB. And MLS makes us backup sometimes multiple times in one Sunday. (Last Sunday I made 4 backups.)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

CSnelson wrote:Is there something that I could fix in our MLS because our backups takes forever and our backup file is around 54 MB. And MLS makes us backup sometimes multiple times in one Sunday. (Last Sunday I made 4 backups.)
I often skip making a backup if MLS prompts me, but I know I just made a backup earlier in the day. You can cancel when prompted to save the backup.

I think some things will be done to improve the speed in the future. In the meantime, about all you can do is to try to limit the number of backups you do each day.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Coupled with the fact that Sophos cripples our computer on start-up, I have to wonder what they're thinking at HQ. I dread starting the computer on Sundays and roll my eyes whenever I Sign out of MLS. What's up? Why isn't this time-wasting stuff being fixed? It should be a high priority. (It seems like the most effort at HQ is spent continually tweaking the calendar at LDS.org. Enough already!) And why do the financial statements have to be included in a backup when, in theory, we can request copies at any time?

[/blunt comment mode]
KenRichins

Post by KenRichins »

My clerks that have had TEM installed on their computers have ALL said how much quicker the computer boots and runs since TEM has been maintaining the computer. Not sure what was changed but CHQ has done a GREAT job with resolving Boot time and over all running of MLS !
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

mrrad wrote:Coupled with the fact that Sophos cripples our computer on start-up, I have to wonder what they're thinking at HQ. I dread starting the computer on Sundays and roll my eyes whenever I Sign out of MLS. What's up? Why isn't this time-wasting stuff being fixed? It should be a high priority. (It seems like the most effort at HQ is spent continually tweaking the calendar at LDS.org. Enough already!) And why do the financial statements have to be included in a backup when, in theory, we can request copies at any time?

[/blunt comment mode]

We have most of ours set to go into standby after four hours, that way TEM can do updates and Sophos can do its thing. One tap of the space bar and its awake and ready to go.
Roland
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

aebrown mentioned in a post above - "'I often skip making a backup if MLS prompts me, but I know I just made a backup earlier in the day. You can cancel when prompted to save the backup."

and mrrad mentioned in his post - "Coupled with the fact that Sophos cripples our computer on start-up,"

I totally agree with both statements. I find no difference in whether I back up to the hard drive or a thumb drive; a backup takes up at minimum five minutes, and often longer on our stake computer. For that reason, I have taken to very often skipping doing a backup.

Complicating the issue is that Sophos has slowed our computer down to where logging on is a 10 minute ordeal and logging off with doing a backup just compounds the waiting time. Out of frustration I have given up doing some backups until such time that I have free time at the stake center when I can afford to waste time doing log-ons and backups that take time better spent doing something else on Sundays and Presidency meetings.

I really do hope that in the near future something will be done about making our time more useful than sitting staring at a computer waiting to get logged into MLS and then doing another starring session trying to get out of it when we're done for the day.

Sour grapes I know, but just wanted to let others out there know they are not alone!
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I live in an area where power blips and power failures have been common. I hesitate to leave the computer unattended all week in any power state other than completely off.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”