Not all events are cascading lesson dates

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
librarianClerk

Not all events are cascading lesson dates

Post by librarianClerk »

I deleted the default schedule. Then I added 5 events: 2 General Conferences, 2 stake conferences, and 1 ward conference.

I then created the Gospel Doctrine class, assigning it to Sunday School. When I first checked the year view, I found that the October General and Stake Conferences were not cascading the lessons.

After deleting and adding the class several times, it appeared that the cascading was working. However, more careful review showed that the earliest event, stake conference on 26 February, did not cascade the lessons. I have tried to delete the class, delete the event, add the event, then add the class, with no change in results.

I have administration rights. I am using Firefox as my browser.
bstumm

Post by bstumm »

I have noticed the same problem. As I add events, the lesson schedule does not adjust to the added event. I did not go through all the steps that librarian1 did. I am using Explorer 9 and have admin rights
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

bstumm wrote:I have noticed the same problem. As I add events, the lesson schedule does not adjust to the added event. I did not go through all the steps that librarian1 did. I am using Explorer 9 and have admin rights
Class schedules do not adjust to events that are created after the class is created. When an event is created after a class is created the event only replaces the lesson on the event date. To get what librarian1 was working toward requires the events to be created first and then the class(es).

The issue librarian1 noted is a bug since he followed the create events then create classes order. The expected result is the events will not replace class lessons but push them to the next Sunday and retain the order of class lessons. See the Lesson Schedules help section Setting Up Lesson Schedules for more information.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
librarianClerk

Post by librarianClerk »

Now none of the events I have created show on the year view and thus no cascading occurs. I have received a reply from Local Unit Support that my position as an Assistant Ward Clerk for finances does not have rights to administer the Lesson Schedules. Nothing in any documentation I had seen differentiates among clerks, and I have had administration rights on the other tools. Has anyone else encountered this? Should I expect my administration rights on the other tools will go away? Or is this a strange bug.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Only an administrator can add events to the lesson scheduler. It's unclear if by "clerks" it's including the assistants or not. The help file could use clarification.
librarian1 wrote:Nothing in any documentation I had seen differentiates among clerks, and I have had administration rights on the other tools. Has anyone else encountered this? Should I expect my administration rights on the other tools will go away?

Not all clerks are the same. It depends on the application.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

librarian1 wrote:Now none of the events I have created show on the year view and thus no cascading occurs.
Currently, cascading only occurs when the event is created first and then the class(es) is (are) created. When an event is created after the class(es) the event will replace the class lesson(s) on the event date. They are working on the implementation of events and how they affect classes and lessons. The current implementation will improve to accommodate how an event affects classes and lessons.
librarian1 wrote:I have received a reply from Local Unit Support that my position as an Assistant Ward Clerk for finances does not have rights to administer the Lesson Schedules.
I am a ward assistant clerk - finances and have had from the beginning, and still do have, administrator rights to the Lesson Schedules. So the comment by the person at LUS is incorrect. To create an event you must have administrator rights. Because you are able to create events indicates you have administrator rights.
librarian1 wrote:Nothing in any documentation I had seen differentiates among clerks, and I have had administration rights on the other tools. Has anyone else encountered this?
Ward assistant clerks - finance do not have administrator rights on the Maps site and he does not have access to the Leader and Clerk Resources. But he does have administrator rights in the Calendar, Directory, Newsletter, and Lesson Schedules.
librarian1 wrote:Should I expect my administration rights on the other tools will go away?
That is possible. Rights for applications have changed in the past. But I would not expect a move away from having administrator rights for those applications/tools in which you now have them.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
kirtkennedy

Post by kirtkennedy »

What happens when you create an event, add the schedule and then, later on, delete the event? Do the lesson schedules cascade in reverse to fill the week where the event was deleted?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

When an event is deleted and the lesson has been postponed the lesson on the date of the deleted event will become a "Not Specified" lesson. If the lesson had been replaced by the event (not postponed) then the lesson will be restored.
JD Lessley

Return to “Lesson Schedules”