Internet Explorer Issues on LDS.org

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
leslieyardley

Internet Explorer Issues on LDS.org

Post by leslieyardley »

Just wondering if I am the only one who is having trouble playing videos off of LDS.org, when using Internet Explorer? I have tried to play several videos and it will not pull up the option to play the video. I tried playing video using Google Chrome and it played just fine. Does anyone know why Internet Explorer is not working for me?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

leslieyardley wrote:Just wondering if I am the only one who is having trouble playing videos off of LDS.org, when using Internet Explorer? I have tried to play several videos and it will not pull up the option to play the video. I tried playing video using Google Chrome and it played just fine. Does anyone know why Internet Explorer is not working for me?
I don't use IE as my default browser, but I just tried this and can verify that the videos on the home page don't play because of a javascript error.

The problem seems to be with some javascript that references the console object (which is not usually defined in IE) on line 446 of the page. It seems that it would be easy enough to check to see if the console object is defined and if not, define it (or since the console object is used only for debugging, remove the reference to the console object in the production deploys). That would at least remove the script errors that are stopping this from working.

Interestingly, the console object gets defined if you open the developer tools that are built into IE9, which lets you get past the error and play the videos. But that's not a very easy workaround for most people!
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It might be a plug-in isn't properly installed in IE. Do other Flash-based things work properly in IE? (I think it uses flash.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

Thought we had fixed that one. Hmmm.

Will take another look
Aaron Barker
Front-end Development Lead for LDS.org (content portions, not apps) and Ward Executive Secretary.

Return to “Main Church Website”